let's stay civil for the election...election results thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Oct 29, 2008.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Hey all, this is not an issue-based thread, unless it manages to stay open and relevant till next week.

It is mostly just a reminder to the PRSI posters who weren't around for the 2004 Election - that despite what happens on the 4th, keep cool and respectful.

No gloating, no baiting, no venom.

I post this because the PRSI forum became INSANE after the 04 Election results - which led to some bannings, some very unfortunate words, and the temporary closing of the forum. It also resulted in the rules that we now abide by here. Other than the latter, it was an unpleasant experience for everyone, regardless of political affiliation.

So if you've read this - just keep all this in mind, and come next week we can all discuss this unique event that happens every 4 years, and perhaps learn something.

I look forward to it.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why post a thread a week in advance?:confused:

i say we wait until it happens....

*goes off to reserve the next gen iphone thread as well as the election thread for 2012*

3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Im sure its already decided...

To paraphrase Bill Hicks:

"See, they take every newly elected President and bring em to a back room. Filled thick with cigar smoke and 10 of the fattest oldest richest men in the world. The President is asked to sit down. The lights dim and someone says 'Roll it'. Footage of the JFK assassination is shown from an angle never seen before which looks suspiciously like the grassy knoll. The film ends, the lights come up and the new President says 'So...whats my agenda?'"

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, that certainly worked on Clinton. He broke every single left-leaning promise he made almost right away. He gave the Republicans just about anything they wanted, and they s*** on him for it. God, i hated Clinton- other than the economy, he was nothing but a bunch of missed opportunities.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thanks for a good post. No-one wants to close this forum or start throwing people out, but if it becomes too much hassle for us to keep on top of, then we'll have to look at what we can do to keep the lid on things.

On election night itself, I'll be around and will be taking a close interest in what is being posted in here. I just would like everyone, regardless of allegiance, just to chill and discuss things like adults where possible. For either side, the result you don't want won't lead to the end of the world... probably. ;)

Flame-baiting, trolling and calling people out is a particular bugbear of mine in this forum so instead of wading in, step back and please report anything that you think needs our attention.

Either way, it's a historic election. Either the first black president or the first female vice-president... let's try and at least take those historical milestones away from this with some good grace, where humanly possible.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Unfortunately, because Clinton had such a historic opportunity to effect change for the better (it wasn't entirely his fault that he failed - Ken Starr and the Republicans certainly lent a hand with their ludicrous attempt to impeach Clinton), and yes, he didn't deliver. I feel much the same way about Tony Blair, too. Missed opportunities which were not grasped and much needed social policies which were not implemented. A complete crying shame, because I remember celebrating the night Clinton was first elected, and cheering to the rafters when the Tories were thrown out, and Blair first elected in 1997.

However, in Ireland, we are grateful for his sustained interest, and I must acknowledge the trojan work rate of both Clinton and above all, George Mitchell in aiding the peace process. They deserve much credit for that.
    Cheers