Let's Talk About Crime and Punishment.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BeeGood, Jun 23, 2017.

1. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

One of the drawbacks of it not being football season is that I end up drag-netting ESPN looking for scraps of football related content.

But sometimes, there are benefits to that. I ran across the article below about Lionel Messi (famous soccer player)

http://www.espnfc.com/barcelona/sto...-avoid-21-month-prison-sentence-for-tax-fraud

In a nutshell, Messi and his dad were convicted of tax fraud in Barcelona. The younger Messi was sentenced to 21 months in prison, but in lieu of jail time, the court accepted a payment of €255,500. The elder Messi got a similar deal.

I didn't think much of it at first, but the more and more I thought about it, the more I'm really questioning how effective this is as a deterrent for a white collar criminal. It doesn't seem right to me that someone with means can escape jail time by pulling out a checkbook.

Thoughts?

2. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

It's not right, but it's actually the smart thing to do in this case. Putting him in jail for 21 months will cost the taxpayers, but here he's ponying up the cash instead so it's a win-win situation.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

One month of jail, 225,000 fine. With 10 year probation.
    That way he gets both services. One month of jail should be enough to correct him.