Let's Talk About 'Hate'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jan 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

hate
    hāt/
    verb
    1. 1.
      feel intense or passionate dislike for (someone).
      "the boys hate each other"
      synonyms: loathe, detest, despise, dislike, abhor, execrate; More
    noun
    1. 1.
      intense or passionate dislike.
      "feelings of hate and revenge"
      synonyms: hatred, loathing, detestation, dislike, distaste, abhorrence, abomination, execration, aversion; More

I try to avoid the use of this word in political discussion because to me it seems to connotate an extreme inappropriate, thoughtless feeling that borders on prejudice.

However when I looked up the definition, I found "passionate dislike" and I realized that although hate is often based on prejudicial thinking, passionate dislike can be a grounded, well thought out and justified expression based on the subject matter.

What I'm seeing is often the word is used as a weapon to brand others as being unreasonably extreme. So despite what the dictionary says, is this a valid observation? :)

2. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Many people have an intense or passionate dislike for the politician Hillary Clinton.

Therefore, many people hate the politician Hillary Clinton.

Substitute Hillary's name with Trump's and you have another true statement.

What's to talk about?

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

There are lots of overused words to brand people as extreme. Don't worry about using the word "hate".

5. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I am incapable of holding a grudge. I can't hate anyone because I can't hold onto that feeling.

I can dislike people at a certain time or place but ultimately my life keeps moving forward. So they become less relevant.

So much negative energy is bad for you. Even people I've sworn I hate inevitably become obsolete to me.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I hate people who refuse to use the word "hate" :D.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2017 ---
    I believe most people are like that although you can initially hate without holding a grudge. It's called forgiveness :).

7. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I hate restaurants that don't label the restroom doors with gentlemen and ladies but uses something cute like Cucumbers and Sun Dried Tomatoes.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

9. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Great educational thread @Huntn. Next will you start one about "racism" so your comrades can start using it where it's actually legitimate as well? Then we'll hit all the other buzzwords you guys throw around to shut down your opponents when you're out of actual ideas.

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I've seen the word used specifically to try to brand an opponent as unreasonable and prejudice. That is the reason for this thread.

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

A nouny verb.

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Lol, thanks for the meaningful input. I suggest you don't bother with the 'racism' thread. :rolleyes:

13. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I might hate that too. Can you give an example?

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I can honestly say I have a passionate dislike of Trump for the calamity of leadership he represents.

15. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

You're probably right. I just always felt that hate was something that grows on you as it starts out with dislike. Then dislike forms into hate which stays around inside you for longer.

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I can't and would not if I could because singling out a forum member for such a purpose I think would cause moderation issues.

17. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I encountered one of those and stood there until someone went into one because I felt too embarrassed to ask.

18. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I hate bathrooms that are gender-segregated.

Like, we all defecate the same way, we all wash our hands the same way, and I don't think any women will be confused and accidentally use a urinal on the wall. Can't we just have public bathrooms with a bunch of sinks and proper lockable floor-to-ceiling stalls for pooping? Maybe for efficiency, there can be a row of urinals somewhere off to the side out of view of the general sink area at high-traffic bathrooms. This whole girl go here and boys go here is a waste of space.

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Love trumps hate. And we have the improvised weapons to show it.

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I thought conservatives wanted guns because the Constitution says they need to have them to protect themselves against potential government tyranny.

Yet, when the government does bad things and liberals rise up, all you guys do is make fun!

Mixed messages, to say the least.

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Men are nasty enough with urinals and not hitting the target. Women are downright disgusting in public restrooms.

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

How many womens restrooms have you been in to know this? Or is this hearsay?

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Name one way he has harmed the country so far. The DOW is up, factories were already returning to the USA due to his policies. You can't point to one TANGIBLE calamity of leadership to date. Any calamity of leadership Trump represents resides only in the minds of lefties.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Liberals ONLY rise when republicans are in power, but by all means tell me what has the GOVT done.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2017 ---
    wife/daughter complain about not being able to use them at times because they are NASTY. I only used them ones as I self identified as needing to take a crap & that was the only one available :p (it was clean btw.)