Lets Talk: Case or No Case for iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tortri, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

2. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Call me boring, but I will end up with another Otterbox Defender case. They do add some size to the phone, but on the other hand, with all the crazy stuff I've put my phone through, the case has kept my device in pristine condition over the past two+ years.

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I'm kind of liking the look of the new Defenders so I may be in the same boat as well.

4. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

live a little..forget the case

you have no idea how good the phone feels on your hand on a day to day basis

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

No case for me. I used a case on my 3GS for the first couple months and then never again. I take care of my stuff & don't mind scratches. Then again, I don't plan on reselling mine next year...

6. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Caseless. Most cases are too bulky,it just defeats the purpose of having a thin phone. Most good looking cases are expensive too. Bought an aluminum bumper and regretted that decision completely.

If I do get a case, it'll probably be the Incase Slider.

7. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I'm pre-ordering one of the Otterbox defenders cases. I use my phone as a flashlight a lot of times while changing oil and stuff in my truck. Definitely helps to have one. Although, I'm waiting for something by Incase or Speck too.

8. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

9. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

Ceaseless till a good clear case shows up. I want to enjoy the sight of the back for awhile. =P

10. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Yeah until you drop it and the glass shatters.

12. STC1709 macrumors 6502

true story

----------

its only a phone not a ferrari, my 4 has flung off a treadmill 6 times

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

A phone I prefer not to replace several times at a premium when I can pay $50 and be good for a couple years.

14. Bigcclass09 macrumors member

case

i took my 4 out the case earlier i love the feel of the phone caseless but dont trust my luck outside my house so i keep it in a speck candy shell, which i hope speck has ready by the time i get my 5 in october, if not ill settle for a defender case then get another less bulky later

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Across three iPhones over 5 years and multiple drops on each I've never shattered or broken the glass. Clearly spoken like someone who babies their phone and doesn't actually use it.

16. farawaybrothers macrumors member

No case for me, in most situations it just makes your iPhone look worse. I rarely drop my 4S and when I do it doesn't get damaged.

17. dabigone macrumors regular

Gonna Applecare+ it and forgo the case...I typically end up spending $200 on various cases anyway.

18. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'm thinking I'll have to go naked for a couple of days until more cases are available, and then I'll revert to what I've used for the last several months on my 4S--an Element case with a skin. Right now, I'm using a red Vapor Pro with a skin that's a concert photo I shot this spring. It's somewhat minimalist but does offer some protection (as the dings and scratches in my gold Vapor Comp can attest. They happened when I tripped over a dislodged sidewalk square and basically threw the phone several feet down the sidewalk. It landed face down and there's not a scratch on the phone itself.)

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I like my phone like I like my women.....:D

----------

I seem to be lucky. Several drops, never a shatter.

20. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Weren't there rumors that Apple was suppose to have a couple of their own cases ready for this phone?

21. Nikki2, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

Nikki2 macrumors member

22. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Because I can no longer get decent insurance on the phone (Thanks people for taking advantage of State Farm's personal insurance so they decided it wasn't feasible to insure idevices), I put a case on cause I can't afford to buy another iphone if it breaks.

I'll just find a cheap silicon one in hopefully a dark blue color.

I tend to be drop prone (not a lot but I can guarantee the phone will get dropped at least a few times in the 2 or so years I'll have it) and the silicon case seemed to do fine for me on my iPhone 4 (not a scratch :) ).

23. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

In this case... tall, black and naked.

24. paulink macrumors member

Waiting on speck myself, they make the most durable cases in my opinion. And a really good price.