Letter from AT&T: my goodness, you use a lot of data!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pipper99, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I got a letter from AT&T yesterday stating that they've noticed that I use more than 2gb of data per month which puts me outside of 98% of their customers typical data use. The letter gave me a friendly reminder that AT&T has many free wifi hotspots, and, if I wasn't aware of this, that I should turn on wifi in my iphone settings and that the iphone would automatically connect to those free wifi hotspots. I guess that streaming internet radio and podcasts all day puts me into the 2% category. I feel special.

I'm glad that I'm grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they've reserved the ability to move me to a 2gb plan at their discretion.

2. jbro1999 macrumors regular

haha I guess I should be expecting one too! All I do is stream music. At work, my car and home.

3. i700plus macrumors newbie

Did you use more than 5GB on average per month?

4. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I find that with WiFi everywhere I'm at (home, work, eats), that I rarely even use the dang data plan.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ha ha.

I love it. The passive-aggressive mother approach.

I also love the "hotspot" suggestion. As if I spend all day sitting at Starbucks. I use my Wifi when I can because it's way faster, but I've never found AT&T hotspots to be any help whatsoever.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Wow, I wonder how many people are needed on the AT&T payroll to send those idiotic letters out. I'd start streaming video 24/7

7. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

If they're bitching so much, they should allow me to get the hell out of a data plan altogether.

Seriously.

I just picked up a Clear iSpot 4G last week for $20 on their holiday sale, and not only am I able to FaceTime and download large files anywhere without jailbreaking, I'm able to split out the signal to my entire family in the car simultaneously.

And it's 4G and it's unlimited usage for $25 a month, no contract.

No affiliation to company, product, or service. Just a damn happy customer.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I guess I should be expecting a letter like that soon. I just moved and Fios isn't installed yet. Glad I got handylight and an unlimited data plan.

9. Pipper99 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pipper99

No, never more than 3.6 gb. Since May, I've used:

May 3.1gb
    June 3.6gb
    July 2.3gb
    Aug 2.2gb
    Sep 2.3gb
    Oct 2.8gb
    Nov 2.9gb
    Dec 3.1gb

I think that I'm going to let TuneIn Radio run continuously this month and see what I get. :)

10. Pipper99 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Same here. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and I don't find that wifi hotspots (that are accessible) to be as ubiquitous as AT&T says. When I got the first iPod Touch, I was so frustrated because I couldn't use it without hanging out at McDonald's or staying at home.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Have yet to get that letter. Ever since Netflix came out i've been using 3-4GB a month. Does AT&T even have the right to send a letter telling you you are using too much data, we're paying for unlimited without a cap.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What? How would you word a law that makes it illegal to send letters?

I mean, they have laws for things like stalking and threats of violence...but I don't think this quite qualifies for that.

13. ihonda macrumors 68000

im at 46gb with 6 days left in cycle.. this is the first time ive ever done this much and it was sort of on accident but not really.. i pull 700KB/s when tethered they just upgraded towers in last month so when i moved the internet was gonna take 2 weeks to get installed and i needed my mkv goodness.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Can you post the letter? I am curious what they are trying to accomplish. They want you to cut the usage?

15. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

I used 38GB last month lol I just recently moved don't have Internet yet so I tether with my Mac. Download a lot of movies and what not. No letter here yet..

16. xyz1534 macrumors regular

46 GB in a month....WOW!!

17. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Read the OP again. The letter did not say that "you're using too much data" nor was it a threat. Just a reminder to try using wifi when possible.

I'm not saying thats its not a silly letter, but its certainly a very legal letter.

18. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

19. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I find I have a hard time using more than a gb a month. How do people use so much data?

20. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

I tether with my Mac.

21. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

My normal places are at work and at home. Both places I have massive wifi coverage.
    But anywhere else its a crap shoot. I'm in Dallas, and while I can find wifi spots all over the place, they're not open and require passwords. Some places are easy, they use their telephone number as the password/wep key. But others just aren't available. So when that is, I normally refrain from using 3G since its rather slow compared to my wifi connections. Its great to have if I need it, but I don't use it for just normal browsing.
    Maybe I'll try this streaming radio trick and see what ATT says. :D

22. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Actually I don't think you are paying for data without a cap. I believe their "unlimited" data is "limited" to 5GB per their TOS. While I am sure you can argue that point until the cows come home that's what they do. If you exceed the "cap" to often they can do bad things to you that I couldn't even put into words since this is a PG rated forum. :)

23. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Every network except T-Mobile here in the UK has scrapped the unlimited internet plans, now we're limited to 500MB per month.

24. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Streaming radio or video can use data pretty quickly. Especially now with apps like Netflix has a lot of folks are streaming as much as ever.

25. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

They'll ban you soon with that kinda usage. Wow