LG 21:9 Ultra Wide monitor with MBP mid 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HipsterGG, Aug 19, 2014.

1. HipsterGG macrumors member

HipsterGG

Hi guys,

I want to buy a new monitor for my MBP 13" mid 2010 but I'm not sure if it would work.

I was thinking about getting the LG 25UM65-p (http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-25UM65-P-ultrawide-monitor) but I was wondering if it would function with my MBP.

I know the maximum resolution of the Nvidia GeForce 320m is 2560 x 1600 but how well would it run? I've heard that I need a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to get the max resolution because it won't be possible through a HDMI cable.

Do any of you guys have experience with older MacBooks running an Ultra Wide 21:9 monitor? I'd like to hear your stories.

Thanks in advance

2. HipsterGG thread starter macrumors member

HipsterGG

I didn't expect reaching second page without any response to my question. Guess most Apple users aren't using ultra wide displays.

Thanks anyway

3. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Your assumption is correct, you would want to use the display port to get your required native resolution, not HDMI.

4. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Should work. The resolution is less than the max supported by your macbook. The LG page also indicates that it is compatible with OSX. There are many people running the ultra wide panels, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If you want one pull the trigger!

----------

That model Macbook pro does not offer an HDMI port. Mini DP is the only external monitor option for direct hook-up without an adapter.

5. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Oh right, only when they went Retina had the HDMI.