LG 43UD79 and 2015 15” MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cakebytheocean, Feb 4, 2018.

1. cakebytheocean macrumors regular

I have a 2015 15” MacBook Pro with the dGPU and I’m looking at getting this monitor but want to make sure I can get the 4K resolution.

I’ve heard there’s some constraints around using HDMI to get the 4K @ 60

Will it will be possible to get the 4K @ 60 with the Thunderbolt 2 to display port?

Thanks

2. booksbooks macrumors 6502a

Just read a review of a person with a MBP. Said it's only putting out 3 W from the USB C port, so won't really charge it. You sure you want this?

3. cakebytheocean thread starter macrumors regular

I have a 2015 mbps so no usb c anyway. Unless you’re talking about future proofing in which case you’re right.

Any recommendations for a monitor?

I was also thinking about putting in extra money and just getting a 5K iMac

4. booksbooks macrumors 6502a

Dude I've been looking. I mean, at this point it's the LG Ultrafine 5K or bust. Nothing out there that has the high PPI to get a good experience with software.

Sure, you can get a bigger flat panel TV that's 4K, but they have nowhere near the PPI that the Ultrafine has.

I literally want to get a kickstarter going for a suite of computer monitors that are 8k with 300+ PPI. Have really minimal designs with a built-in swing arm.

All monitors pretty much suck.

5. cakebytheocean thread starter macrumors regular

This is pretty much what I’m finding the more and more research I do.

I’m now leaning towards just getting a 27 inch 5K iMac mostly for the screen. Definitely over kill but meh. Wish it was bigger.

6. booksbooks macrumors 6502a

I wish the iMac was bigger too. I'm thinking of the iMac as well, but I want something I can connect an xBox to as well, and since I have a MacBook Pro... the road is leading me to the Ultrafine.