LG combo Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive for $299 at BestBuy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fishkorp, Sep 25, 2007.

1. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...H20LI&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1186003684236

Currently backordered, but looks like a fantastic deal. Should work fine in a Mac Pro and would probably work on any other Macs if you just stick it in a 5.25" enclosure. Of course there's no movie playback software for a Mac yet, but hopefully Leopard will change that. In the mean time, you can always reboot into Windows (assuming you have it installed) and watch movies that way. In my opinion that is an amazing price to get both technologies. Anyone know how HDCP comes into play with something like this if I wanted to push it out to my TV?

2. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

the reason Apple put the ATI cards in the new iMacs is because they can support the high def option for optical devices, is your graphics card up to par in that respect?

3. fishkorp thread starter macrumors 68020

fishkorp

that's not what i meant. i have a SR 17" MBP, i have enough power to push HD video out. my question is about HDi on HD-DVDs. the stand alone combo player on the market does not support HDi, so it's not certified by HD-DVD, so it can't display the menus or interactive features. when it comes to computers, i was wondering if HDi was something that was hardware based or dependent on the software used to play the discs? i'm assuming it is software related, especially since this drive has the HD-DVD logo on it (devices aren't allowed to carry the logo if they don't meet all specs). I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on a drive to only be able to watch HD-DVD movies and not get the menus or features.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

HDi comes from the playback software. You said HDCP in your first post, but it appears that you meant HDi.

5. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Link dissapeared...

Did you stumble upon it? Extremely cheap for a combo player.

6. fishkorp thread starter macrumors 68020

fishkorp

d'oh! sorry, i did say HDCP and meant HDi, good catch my bad ;)

i found the link on a hi-def video forum, someone else posted it. i don't think the drive is out yet and the MSRP is $399 on it, so maybe BB jumped the gun a little?