LG GSA-H55L 20x DVD Burner w/LightScribe - Works!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Forced Perfect, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Forced Perfect macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

Last week I picked up an LG GSA-H55L 20x DVD burner for use in my MDD G4. For no reason other than my interest in trying out LightScribe. Although I couldn't find any information on that specific model as far as Mac compatibility (regarding LightScribe - I knew it would work as a burner just fine).

I installed the LightScribe software driver from Roxio's site (available on the LightScribe site too, I think). Works perfectly using any software which supports LightScribe (Toast comes with software, but others are available).

Toast 8: Works perfectly
    Disk Utility: Works - burns no problems. However System Profiler shows as it being an unsupported drive with no DVD+R burning ability (DVD-R only). Despite that it worked just fine burning some LightScribe 16x DVD+R discs.

I paid $45.95 Canadian for it. Although I was going to get it at Canada Computers (www.canadacomputers.com) for less - they were sold out.

2. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i bought a lg off a friend for 35$ canadian used oncee then his pc died im not sure which model it is HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N they call it that anywhos on toast 8 it says writing lead out for ever and want to know where to get this driver is it on more than the light scribe im thinking it is a light scribe

3. Forced Perfect thread starter macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

The N doesn't have LightScribe if I recall. It will have the logo on the front bezel of the disc tray if it does.

Mine has SecureDisc (or whatever it is called) and LightScribe. LightScribe is the only one which works on Macs at this time.

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

******* mine has secure disc and super multi

5. Forced Perfect thread starter macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

When I was looking around for mine, I found most stores only carried the one you have. Or at least were sold out of the LightScribe version.