LGBT coffee shop owner evicts Christian group from his coffee shop

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
“We were all taken aback because we had no idea what he was talking about,” Davis said. The owner then showed them a pamphlet he had found and demanded to know if it belonged to them. The pamphlet featured an image of an aborted child, as well as rainbow colored imagery along with an explanation of what the rainbow means according to scripture; a symbol of God’s longsuffering mercy toward sinners.

“None of us had dropped anything in the store,” Davis said. “But we told him yes, it was one that we had been handing out in the city, and asked where he’d found it. He told us he found it outside.”
'We weren't doing anything wrong!'

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Wow. That guy was a jerk. Not just to the group but even to his friends/coworkers whatever telling them to shut up too. I guess he felt like he was some sort of alpha gay, but the guy was just an idiot. I wouldn't mind these people just sitting there having a drink. Now, if they were harassing other customers and leaving their pamphlets all over the place, that would be a different story. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Only one person was harassing others, and it was the potty-mouthed gay guy. Even I as another gay person wouldn't want to be around him. Jerks come in all walks of life, including gay people unfortunately. :(

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Wow. That guy was a jerk. Not just to the group but even to his friends/coworkers whatever telling them to shut up too. I guess he felt like he was some sort of alpha gay, but the guy was just an idiot. I wouldn't mind these people just sitting there having a drink. Now, if they were harassing other customers and leaving their pamphlets all over the place, that would be a different story. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Only one person was harassing others, and it was the potty-mouthed gay guy. Even I as another gay person wouldn't want to be around him. Jerks come in all walks of life, including gay people unfortunately. :(
question is, was he within his rights to do so? Christians are NOT protected classes and I would not expect you to serve Nazis/Antifa west borough clown church members, you have the right to refuse service for almost any reason except those protected.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
question is, was he within his rights to do so? Christians are NOT protected classes
In this instance they would be (very generally speaking) due to alleged discrimination on religious basis.
Protected class means that the whole classification is protected, not the subgroup.

Reactions: jkcerda

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
question is, was he within his rights to do so? Christians are NOT protected classes and I would not expect you to serve Nazis/Antifa west borough clown church members, you have the right to refuse service for almost any reason except those protected.
no you're wrong....Christians are covered under religion;

In United States federal anti-discrimination law, a protected class is a group of people with a common characteristic who are legally protected from discrimination on the basis of that characteristic. The following characteristics are "protected" by federal law:

Individual states can and do create other classes for protection under state law.
link

even clowns get coffee.....and cake if they want it

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
The owner is wrong. if the pamphlet was not distributed on premise, than these individuals did not do anthing that should warrant refusal of service. Therefore the refusal of service was for the beliefs of the people kicked out, which is wrong, especially if they're not pushing those beliefs while on premise.

IF they were spreading those pamphlets in store, that is a completely different case.

The only time it's appropriate to refuse service due to beliefs is Nazi's :p

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
In this instance they would be (very generally speaking) due to alleged discrimination on religious basis.
Protected class means that the whole classification is protected, not the subgroup.
yes but then of course the coffee artists have the same 1A rights you've been claiming for the cake "artists" :p

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
but they did not get kicked out due to their religion .......... they got kicked out for what they promoted due to religion.......

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
but they did not get kicked out due to their religion .......... they got kicked out for what they promoted due to religion.......
That’s why I said generally speaking. I don’t know if this is the case, and the website is clearly biased.
My point is that the protected class protection applies to Christians too.

Reactions: hulugu

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
As sick as it might sound... I’d drink it gladly. Caffeine trumps everything.
I'd have no problem. Drinking coffee that has a dick shape in the milk doesn't suddenly make me gay. I'm confident enough in my sexuality that homosexuals and their imagery doesn't impact my life. Don't think it's sick at all... Though I do question a barrista that puts dicks in their coffee without asking.

I'd drink that coffee and enjoy it... for about 45 minutes... stupid lactose intolerance limiting my ability to enjoy a good latte.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Gotta love the part when the owner said "would you tolerate me if I ****ed my boyfriend in the ass right here". Uh, no, but I wouldn't tolerate a man doing that to a woman either. Honestly, its that how we judge if we are tolerant now? If you won't watch Adam go down on Steve in your local starbucks, you're a bigot?

THIS IS WHY LIBERALS ARE LOSING!!!