LGBT groups angry at Apple for possibly choosing North Carolina for new campus

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 18, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Good grief. Can someone list all the so-called rights North Carolina is suppressing for LGBT people? Forcing everyone else to accept unisex bathrooms/locker rooms? Seriously?

https://www.axios.com/lgbt-groups-s...193-1150c37b-7696-442d-bc14-b8d55ed50d16.html

LGBT activists are reacting with anger and dismay at the prospect that Apple might build its new corporate campus in North Carolina. The state is still being boycotted by a number of organizations and state governments for not fully repealing a law limiting the civil rights of LGBT people.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Peeing in the boys' bathroom, or the girls', is the only one I'm aware of.

3. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

The "bathroom bill" was a solution for a problem that didn't exist. I would like to see that bill repealed, but I'm not going to cry over a building in North Carolina.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Exactly. I’m reading a book on JFK and MLK right now. What happened to blacks in the 60s was real discrimination.

5. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Let those who are angry at Apple for building this camous in NC, boycott their products.

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

What is with some people? If they don't live in NC, those bathroom bills don't affect them. I want to know how the LGBT groups in NC feels about this, not some activist group with nothing to lose. The people of NC stand to lose a lot of $$$ if Apple decides to build elsewhere.

7. Irishman macrumors 68030

Maybe it didn't exist for you, personally, but it definitely existed for enough to make the new Governor act.

BTW, I say this as a North Carolinian. :)

8. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

It played into people's fear, that's all. There was no epidemic of men posing as trans people so they could go into women's bathrooms to molest and rape them. It's 1980s-style hysteria.

9. Irishman, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018

Irishman macrumors 68030

Hang on. What about was happened to the Jews in Germany in the 1930s?

All the Christians whom the Romans threw to the lions in the Colisseum?

Just because certifiably bad (and criminal) crap happens, doesn't mean that less bad crap doesn't happen. We can multitask, and we can devote the relatively appropriate amount of civil discourse to them in kind. I think we are that sophisticated to do that.

best,

Brian
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2018 ---

Yep, I had this conversation with a co-worker who is a mother to daughters, and she was straight-up nervous thinking that pervy old men who wanted to peek and leer at little girls would pose as women to do it.

I reminded her that perverts aren't deterred by what the law says. They're going to peek and leer. This bathroom law change won't make it easier for them. If anything, it's going to draw more people paying attention to who goes in bathrooms.

10. raqball macrumors 68000

The horror of expecting people to use the appropriate bathroom.........

I'll tell you what, if I had a young daughter using the restroom and a dude walked in there, there would be problems and a possible battery charge pending against me.

To each their own I suppose.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

A dude? Yup no problem with your feelings there. A woman who You can’t tell her history from just a quick look, that’s different, right?

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Yup, and now the deranged SJWs fetishize being discriminated against and go out of their way to invent discrimination where there’s none. Crazy world we live in.

13. Irishman macrumors 68030

What if I were to tell you that the SJW you love to hate so much, doesn't exist?

Brian

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I’d say show me if I could jump in. Cause I’m pretty liberal but these SJWs are out of control in my mind.

15. raqball macrumors 68000

A man who became a woman and no longer has a male body part? I am okay under that scenario. A man who dresses as a woman and still has his gender specific body part? Umm nope!

And see that's my issue. You can't tell from a quick look. I am all for people using the restroom that meets their gender specific body part and not which sex they choose to identify with or dress as...

16. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I’d say that you either haven’t been paying attention, lying or you’re one of them.

17. 0007776 Suspended

If somebody goes through the trouble to castrates themselves then sure they can use the other bathroom.
    You haven’t been looking, I’ve seen plenty in person.

18. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

That’s why the bathroom bill was a load of rubbish. If a transgender man walked into the female restroom because that’s what the law states they should do, fathers like us would be concerned if we assumed they were just a perv. This is the reason it was effectively a solution to a problem that didn’t exist.,

I work with a transgender female and two years ago she looked just like a man. Shes transitioned and uses the female toilets now at our work. It’s never been brought up as an issue at all. I do think certain countries make up drama for the sake of paranoia and headlines.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Evidence that unisex bathrooms cause more sexual crimes? The issue is general security, so perhaps there re ways of creating unisex bathrooms that are secure. After all, we do not object to unisex planes, buses, hallways, etc...

20. raqball macrumors 68000

I am fine with unisex bathrooms... One person at a time and with doors that lock. The gym I go to only has these.

My issue is as I previously described..

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Apologies if I misunderstood.

22. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Well I used that as an example because it it fresh in my mind. Still I don’t think gays are discriminated against in NC.

23. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

You give them too much credit, the same SJW types have also co-Oped feminist talking points so them having to wear a dress is stereotyping what a woman is

So in the current land of make believe the dude can have a d*ck intend to keep it, never use hormones, wear mens clothes, have a beard etc. And yet that is considered a "woman" and if the next day (s)he further clarifies that they are "gender fluid" (s)he can be back to being a male til It suits them

24. flyinmac, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018

flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

The whole bathroom thing is a ridiculous cause dreamed up by a bunch of people who need some way to claim they are being discriminated against.

And I say that as one of the people they claim to represent. And no I’m not getting into my classification.

But... I can tell you that I live in the most conservative and unforgiving area imaginable. If your image doesn’t fit what they think men and women are supposed to be, or your sexuality is anything but heterosexual, then you are ostracized.

And here’s what I can say about the bathroom bill and bathroom rights issues.

I have freely walked into any bathroom I happened to be next to my entire life without anyone ever caring.

Women have never complained that there was a male in the bathroom. As long as you don’t start trying to look into stalls, nobody cared.

Likewise, I’ve never seen a male complain that there was a female in the men’s room (regardless of her birth gender).

I can say that in both traditional and non traditional appearances nobody has ever cared which bathroom I or somebody else used. And neither have I.

The whole thing wasn’t even a thought until somebody went and tried to make it a cause for LGBT. And those radicals represent a minority of attention seeking extremists who are self-serving.

Personally, as someone they claim to be fighting for, I find most of their actions to be offensive and set things back further.

The more ridiculous fights and causes they make up, the less accepting the general population is of those who are trans, bi, gay / lesbian, etc.

The only people the activists are helping is themselves. They certainly aren’t helping “us”. They’re actually making things worse for us.

25. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

The dude can do whatever he wants. It’s called personal liberty. I have to wonder why so many people are so concerned with other people’s junk.