Libby sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 5, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

it cost the administration only 2 1/2 years and $250k to out a CIA agent for political ends. there are guys in prison doing (much) more time for petty drug charges.

something ain't right.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This draft dodger will be Pardon by the Draft dodgers he worked for. In the end, Cheney,Bush Rove & Libbey are all political scumbags who would sell out their mothers for their rotten party. I hope Libbey makes it to jail, but he will be pardon by BushCo. watch these crooks.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Cheney should be the one doing the time, we all know he had his spinmasters out Plame. Libbey is the fall guy but Cheney & Rove are the real dirtbags. Sold out one of our own so they could have the Iraq War. All three of these cowards wouldnt serve their country, yet went out of the way to spin us the Iraq war. 400 billion dollars, thousands of lives for nothing.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

2 1/2 years for someone who was at the pinnacle of power in America, what a tumble this will be. I would LOVE to see this introduction, "Bubba, I want to introduce Scooter". I bet Scooter would have a change of heart about naming names. Now, let's hope Judith Miller goes down.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I hope they do pardon him.

But yeah, they couldn't get him or the real criminals on the real crimes. They barely got this guy on this charge. Like with OJ though, most of us know they're guilty, and history will do to them what it did to Nixon. Ever lowering poll numbers and a crippled administration that most of us can't wait to be over helps too.

I hope they pardon him because, like the guy above, it will only sink them further.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It will be interesting to say the least to see what happens here.

A late term pardon in exchange for keeping his mouth shut or will
    his experience in prison make him sing?

In the end, it could be Libby's testimony that outs Rove and Cheney
    for conspiracy.

Bush made an interesting comment regarding Libby's wife and children
    feeling sorry for them.

The question is, was this a warning?

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

If President Bush doesn't pardon him, then President Thompson after him will. Said as much last night during an interview.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha! As if...good luck on that. ;)

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

To be fair currently the odds are best on President Thompson considering there are two Thompsons running....

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe they should form a ticket. It would be like voting for a law firm.

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

But the GOP hates lawyers....

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Just tort lawyers. :)

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Haha. You honestly think that nut job will get elected? You know, I'd love for nothing more than to see Kucinich win the race, but at least I know that isn't going to happen.

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Ah, but do you understand WHY Kucinich will never win the race? Most Americans do. :)

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Well, do you know why Thompson will never win? Because he's worse than what we've had for the last 7 years, which is completely astounding considering the last 7 years have been the worst in American presidental history.

By the way, what happened to Ron Paul?

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- the same reason Thompson won't win. Do you understand that?

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Probably trying to figure out who accidently registered him as a Republican.

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

No, I mean what happened to your support for Ron Paul? Wasn't he your choice candidate?

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Why? Because he claims he's a Libertarian running as a Republican? Not hardly.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/la-na-walton7jun07,1,646557.story

This has been a test of the irony alert system. Thank you for your cooperation.

23. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

except it's not "just only a test".

this crap is reminding me of Fight Club, where the system if peppered with their members to make later operations go more smoothly.

"the first rule of Reich Club is: do not talk about Reich Club."

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

While the sentence may seem light in terms of the damage done in the underlying crime, it is within the parameters of the maximum the prosecution could ask for. In that light it is a victory for those who want to see something done for outing a covert CIA agent for political purposes.

The amazing thing is that there are still right-wing nuts out there saying there was no crime committed here. As I see it there are only two alternatives to why no one has been prosecuted under the IIPA (a horribly crafted law.) First, the "good" folks who outed Plame can claim they were so stupid that they didn't know that giving Plame's name to the press was a problem because they didn't know she was covert. As a federal official, if you don't know that anyone working for the CIA maybe covert and you have an obligation to find out before you release his or her name to the press, then you are so incompetent that you shouldn't be trusted to tie your own shoes much less have a security clearance. Or alternatively, and this is what I think happened, Bush authorized the release of Plame's name without going through any of the regular channels (including informing the CIA and Plame that he was going to do so) and has played a charade of misinformation about his role ever since. An argument can be made that a President has the right to do this. Any President who does, should be kick out of office for gross incompetence and endangering national security for political gain.

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

That's where I think the law needs to be re-crafted. It should be illegal to leak classified information regardless of whether or not you know about it's classification status. If you are unsure you need to do a bit of research before leaking, or if questioned directly say "no comment" until you verify the classification status. If I didn't see the speed limit sign am I allowed to drive as fast as I want?