Liberal Libertarian's fix for America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jun 9, 2009.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have a friend who considers himself a liberal leaning Libertarian, which is quite a bit different than a pro-life, anti-drug legalization Libertarian on the more GOP side, but not GOP.

He suggested short term goals:

Get US forces out of foreign countries
    Legalize MJ
    Reduce taxes gradually
    Relaxed gun control

Long term goals?

No US military anywhere but an informal militia only, and only if we get attacked
    Pure state's rights
    Legalize all drugs
    Get rid of IRS and dispose of old profession of CPAs entirely
    Allow any type of weapon allowable to all
    No restrictions on marriage, or age of marriage, or number of spouses
    No state religion, as he considers Christianity too powerful in the US
    No pledge of allegiance
    Legalized prostitution
    Greatly reduced police force
    Greatly reduced frivolous tort lawsuits, mediators to replace attorneys
    Eventually, banning of all Washington, DC lobbyists
    No public education, college classes OK for older folk, but no degrees conferred anymore

And finally, a free, classless society that is color blind, gender blind, and tolerant of all points of view

He's a fan of John Lennon, and "no religion, too".

Thoughts?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

"Pure states rights" is impossible without all the states becoming their own countries.

"No public education" is simply short-sighted and quite dangerous. I don;t even understand the degree thing he was talking about.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Your friend is a nutcase and the day him or anyone who shares his views is elected as president is the day I move out of this country.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Force out of foreign countries...makes sense, but we should look at them on an individual scale, so we do it right.
    I'm all for pot legilzation
    How does one reduce taxes gradually in the short term?
    Relaxed gun control...I see no reason,guns aren't hard to get now.

Why? Why? I like to be able to fight for ideals that need to be fought for. Not to mention what happens to our "big guns" (nukes, missiles, planes, ships, etc) Those things can't be let informally hanging out with people. We need a system to ensure we can use them when we need them, and that they don't have into the wrong hands.

So the federal government has no power? We tried something like that with the articles of confederation...we saw we needed a strong Federal government, not none at all.

No hugely opposed to this, but we'd need good education and jobs so people don't have to turn to drugs to "solve" their problems

This makes no sense...I want the government to help me when I need it, and I'll pay into it. We're stronger when we are united

That might be the worst idea of all...this ensure people who want power will have the means to fight for it

No issues there, minus no age requirement. We need a system inplace to make sure young kids aren't getting forced into marriages to early

I don't see Christianity as a state religion, but I wouldn't mind seeing its influence weaker(although I question how much of that can be done through the government)

I think getting rid of it as mandatory, but if people want to, I'm fine with it

Yes, as long as its done with large over sight by a government(which I assume he doesn't want)

This just seems like a bad idea...give people all the weapons they can buy, then cut the police force back? We need to change some things in our police force, but I'm not sure about a huge cut back

Not sure how we'd do this....a change of view of people away form just looking to get rich fast would be nice. And mediators to replace all attorneys? Thats a dangerous idea(or one where its just a name change, but they still do the same thing)

Why? Lobbyists know there stuff...they don't give a balanced view on their own, so we need other sources of info, but we should give them a seat at the table.

Why? How would any of his other ideas so remotely well without education...if anything, they other ideas he's layed out could only possible work with huge public education

:rolleyes: Why would we want to be those things? Our diversity is what makes humans great.

His outline seems like a pipe dream and if would fall apart very very quickly when put into action.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I second that.

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

so, he envisions a sort of extreme Far-West where whoever has the biggest weapon, or the meanest streak can abuse any of the other 'weaklings' around, who would have basically no protection from the law?
    sure, that sounds like a place where i'd want to raise my kids....

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. A complete loon.

8. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

When I approached my friend on his issues and a slimmed down education, he mentioned only the first seven articles, but no amendments, no supreme court rulings, and other issues. In the late 1700s, education for the masses, and not just the elite, was not as big an issue, but today, it's a key issue.

He does not believe in God or Satan and that ALL good and evil lies in people alone and most people are good, and the ones who are bad are so because of OUR system. Legalize all drugs and suddenly most handgun and assault/battery/robbery/burglary crimes are gone (also to quote former SJPD Chief McNamara and former Secretary of State George Schultz).

I think public education is a good thing be he infers that the Constitution does not want to put the burden of the heavy costs of public education on taxpayers. Heavy cost? It would cost more for us to self teach our kids in loss of income for doing this time consuming task or sending the kids to pricey private schools. I tell him that may be OK in the context of the taxpayers of the late 1700s, but today's parents would want public education. One may have gotten by w/o reading in early America, but today, we need a whole host of skills for a hs graduate in the 21st century.

When he, a career military person, hopes that Libertarianism eventually fires him and all in uniform, because WE are an imperialistic and greedy nation, then our country will have set the example they wanted to. I tell him there was no need to make our country the country to follow, but one that would work better than England.

I believe that other cultures should have their customs of marriage, and I can see gay marriage being legal, but not polygamy unless it's a part of one's religion. I think, at least today in America, all of us having many spouses would be a mess. Think of the hippie commune experiment. Centuries from now, who knows what the USA will consider the age of consent.

He believes in a Utopia, I believe the best we can do is to hope to be better today than yesterday, and hey, we are only human and unable to be organized to have such a self-sufficient society. Because we are who we are, at least a small US army is necessary (maybe not for invading others), and we need police as they do much more than just law enforcement. I got a poisoned reaction from statins and cops took me to hospital and may have saved my life.