Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQ by CNN

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQ

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/26/liberals.atheists.sex.intelligence/index.html

Evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa at the the London School of Economics and Political Science correlated data on these behaviors with IQ from a large national U.S. sample and found that, on average, people who identified as liberal and atheist had higher IQs. This applied also to sexual exclusivity in men, but not in women. The findings will be published in the March 2010 issue of Social Psychology Quarterly.
Although this is not to make stereotypes, but I think this is rather interesting.

As a sidenote, I have met countless of those "liberals/atheists" in SF, and oh boy, some of these people do not fit that category. And this coming from someone who's sorta liberal and sorta atheist...

What do y'all think?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I would generally expect people with higher intelligence to be less extreme in their political views, which means in the US they are more likely to be liberals. Additionally as they are more intelligent they are less likely to fall for the propaganda of Fox News et al.

Religion and male sexuality are slightly more surprising to me, the latter more than the former but still.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I suppose those with higher IQs are more used to having understanding. So if they don't see an answer about how or why something is the case it's more likely they'll seek it out, which could explain the higher incidence of atheism. Whether this also leads to a tendency towards empathy for the position of others, one of the key pointers towards liberalism, is a bit more complicated.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I would generally expect people with higher intelligence to be less extreme in their political views, which means in the US they are more likely to be liberals. Additionally as they are more intelligent they are less likely to fall for the propaganda of Fox News et al.

Religion and male sexuality are slightly more surprising to me, the latter more than the former but still.
liberal is the extreme in US. haha. This study is so relative and based on such a flimsy test that the finding are almost irrelevant.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
It's really a fascinating study and since it's long term, pretty valuable. It also ties into Post 253 I made in the Tea Party Movement thread.

"Liberals are more likely to be concerned about total strangers; conservatives are likely to be concerned with people they associate with," he said.
This bit really caught my eye and supports the idea that the right is very insular, except of course when it comes to waging war :rolleyes:

I'll make no claims to intellectual superiority, however, of my Netflix selections over the last 5 years, more than 75% are foreign.:D

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Sweeet! Now I have an interesting article to write my Social Psych thesis paper on.

I am a male conservative agnostic with a 3.2 GPA dating a female moderate Christian with a 4.3 GPA. Therefor, I have a hard time believing this study until I read the article.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Europe has always been a lot more liberal than the US. I wonder what sort of results we'd get if they replicated the study over here.
I'm sure I read somewhere that we're on average more intelligent and better educated than North Americans, but compared to them we're massive under-achievers in how to apply ourselves. Therefore we're not that clever after all, if that makes sense.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
It's probably beyond you... :)
Well, 3.2 and all... ;)

A psych major should definitely have a better understanding of statistics than the sentence he wrote leads us to believe he has.

What the study failed to recognize is that fiscally conservative social moderates have the highest IQs, are the best looking, and get the most girls of all the classifications.

Not that I fall into that category or anything. :p

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Sweeet! Now I have an interesting article to write my Social Psych thesis paper on.

I am a male conservative agnostic with a 3.2 GPA dating a female moderate Christian with a 4.3 GPA. Therefor, I have a hard time believing this study until I read the article.
Huh?