Libertarian VP Candidate Bill Weld Gives Up, Will Focus on Preventing Trump Presidency

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Oct 5, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Another flank Trump will need to protect.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...date-just-wants-to-stop-trump-presidency.html

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Most bizarre election in my lifetime.

Without a doubt.

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Republicans are racists and gun fans. Between which you get about 1/3 of the electorate.

5. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Given they do much better than that historically your ideas seem somewhat flawed.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Depends who turns out. Older people are more likely to turn out and vote and are more likely to be racist.

But it's true there have also been people who support small government.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I wouldn't say the republican party is dead, they just have an identity crisis and if anything Trump has shown the Evangelical wing has much less influence today. They need to figure out who they are, what they want, and how to broaden their appeal to voters. There was a point in time the democrats had to figure out how badly they wanted to keep the south in the face of civil rights act and the anti-segregation movement.

8. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I didn't mean to say that the Republican party is going away. I just meant that the Republican party is changing and that those people in the Republican leadership can't recognize or accept it.

The one thing in life that's guaranteed is change.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's starting to remind me of The Hobbit with @vrDrew as Gandalf.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

If it were up to me I would agree with the democrats on just about every social issue on the table. Leave abortion alone, it's a done deal (partial birth is another issue). Stick to fiscal issues and I think they'll look a lot more appealing. Get religion completely out of the party mantra.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How is the Republican Party going to improve with the minorities vote?

12. nfl46 macrumors 603

Has she won yet? (S) ain't even going to be close anymore. She's 33 days away and starting to hit post DNC numbers...which were eye popping! Hell, even Al Gore is about to campaign for her. And, she still hasn't unleashed Obama yet. Quite frankly, don't need him right now with all these great polls numbers.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Libertarianism isn't the answer.

I mean, it sounds good in theory. Who isn't in favor of low taxes and limited Government? Who isn't in favor of liberty itself? But the problems start once you get to the Libertarian Convention, and you realize that half the people there are nutjobs of one sort or another. It's like going to a cool jazz club, and finding out half the people there are into wife-swapping and the other half want to sign you up as Amway distributors. Not necessarily evil - but not really the sort of crowd you want to be too closely associated with.

The current fascination with Libertarianism grew out of the debacle of the last act of the G.W. Bush Presidency. A lot of Republicans figured their particular brand of Republicanism was so hopelessly stained by the dual meltdowns in Iraq and Wall Street that it would never come back. By leaving the mainstream Republican party, they left open the door for the Sarah Palin/Donald Trump outsider-fringe-idiot crowd to take over.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Republicans are good, hard-working, contributing members of society. They may have different ideas as to how to run the nation, but their intentions are good, even if we liberals don't agree with their plans.

15. bent christian, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016

bent christian Suspended

bent christian

People who discriminate based on skin color, sexual preference, or personal identity do not have good intentions.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It doesn't do anybody any favors to paint an entire party as racist. This is why they turn it around and claim liberals are out to destroy the country. That kind of rhetoric doesn't serve anybody.

17. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

It's nice to be conciliatory and all, but the party has a platform. That platform reinforced all the issues I mentioned in my previous post.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm not. I'm paint some of it as racist. And some of it as gun fans. Being gun fans doesn't make them bad - far from it.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Bent Christian, you see white supremacy everywhere.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2016 ---
    you spelled "Gollum" wrong.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2016 ---
    I hate just how spot on your post is, we are ****ing doomed :(

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Kinda like those manufacturing jobs not coming back that trump keeps promising his base?

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

22. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

like the Libs bitch about the 2nd and continually seek to restrict it? this is Murika, we bitch about EVERYTHING.

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

No its actually not like that at all

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

of course not, I still win anyways :D