"Liberty" University bans College Democrats club

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cave Man, May 23, 2009.

1. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I wonder if they know what Liberty means? Hypocrites..

These days to be a Republican "christian" is to be a hypocrite.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ridiculous, but not surprising. Let them do it. Once again the religious right proves it wants nothing to do with honest discussion.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Can we imagine the outrage from David Horowitz if Wellsley (for instance) were to boot the college Republicans off campus? Hoooo doggy!

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its a private evangelical college, I wouldn't expect them to fund or recognize what I am guessing is pro-choice propaganda*.

*I am pro-choice.

In their view there is no discussion or debate. There is right and wrong according to the bible

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Jesus embraced everyone, these guys dont get it, never will.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Doesn't mean that jesus gave them a podeum to speak from, and gave them monetary benefits to spread their message.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Look up Liberty. What does Liberty mean?

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let them be ignorant. I grew up in a fundamentalist family, but I guess I missed the part where people are supposed to shun others.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Irrelevant.

I don't really agree with it, but I know what the evangelical church stands for and I wouldn't expect them to support an opposing platform monetarily.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Religions are what they are. Not a one based on facts and truth.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree. its a private Christian school. they have a right to support whatever groups they want

as far as liberty, its just a name. i mean there is a jeep that has a liberty model. has NOTHING to do with liberty as you (Don't hurt me) are trying to define it

how is this at all relevant to the topic at hand other than to flame religion?

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I am an atheist so you are preaching to the choir. If you want a private school that doesn't support republicans or fund them monetarily feel free. Thats real liberty right there.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

religions + brainwashing is there much difference? They all are a think alike club. If you dont your out. College's should inspire thinking out of the box.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If they were publicly funded I would agree, however they are not. The fact that you want to force a private institution to support something they don't agree with may mean you need to rethink your ideas on liberty.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if you dont want to go to a private Christian college, then don't go. There are many other choices

however, some want to go to a school that reinforces their beliefs. The fact that the school is private, means that the school can have a say in what groups it wants to promote and what groups it doesnt monetarily

if the democratic student group wants to exist, im sure they can, but without the support of the school money wise

not really hard to understand

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True, but if they receive any public $$$ its a difference story.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Since they're a school, they receive tax exempt status, so they are in a way receiving public money.

If they're going to play politics, which is a blatant violation of the tax exempt rules, they should start paying Uncle Sam.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Would y'all be so complacent if a private liberal arts school banned the College Republicans because their views were antithetical to the school's?

Note that I'm not asking whether you would think it was illegal, or improper; but rather whether you would roll your eyes and complain about "liberal professors" trying to "shove their views" down students throats. Would there be scathing remarks made about "the party of tolerance"? That kind of thing.

Of course, you'll never admit it, but rest assured if the shoe was on the other foot, there would be outrage from the right. And justifiably so. This is a stupid and petty decision, likely born out of sore-losership.

Ah well... it's their right to do so, and it's my right to say it's a stupid and petty decision.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Actually, this worries me just as much. It's not even like they're banning both the Democrat club AND the Republican club for being overtly political; this is strictly belief-based. I don't agree with it.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree completely. So let's hope people vote with their wallets.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I already offered that a previous poster open their own college and not fund a republican agenda. I could give a **** less about religious belief, but I believe in freedom. Its a private institution they should be able to do whatever they want within the law.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I agree, and I wasn't arguing the *legality* of what they did. What I'm asking is whether you would exercise your right to bitch about a decision if the shoe were on the other foot, not whether you would call it illegal.

24. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

As much as I don't like that, it's a private university. I graduated from a very conservative private university in the Bay Area, and to my knowledge there was never a democrat's club. :)

I was a democrat the whole time I went to school there (still am a democrat), but kept it under wraps. Sixty percent of the student body were MBA students so there wasn't a whole lot of talk about "green" regulation or liberal social causes when there was so much money, and so little time to get it all!

I got a great education, and I didn't go to school to further the democratic party causes but to learn business theory, public policy, labor law, and entrepreneurship. If I want to further my knowledge of the Bible, Liberty would be just fine, as many Conservative and Liberal seminaries will do the job, but being private, they have more leeway in keeping out groups they don't like. I doubt there is a fundamentalist Islamic student group there at Liberty.