License agreement dilemma

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Jan 24, 2017.

1. tshrimp, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I have always been one of those guys who thinks you should read the license agreement to know what you are getting into, and if you agreed to it then so be it.

I am starting to change my mind here, and wonder what you guys think.

Example:

You buy an Android cell phone (I know the shame), and it comes with YouTube, Twitter, Face Book, etc. You are okay with the privacy policy, license, etc of those apps when you get the phone. However, it is found one of those "force on you" apps has a security issue, and it allows people to get your personal data. Before you install the update you read the EULA, and no longer agree with what they have stated as things have changed. You can't close the security hole unless you agree, and you can't uninstall the app.

How much should we be held responsible for this type of thing?

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It's Android... those "forced on you " apps can be at minimum, disabled under app management.
    Many OEM's are now making them non-system apps, so they can be completely uninstalled.

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I flash my phone without GAPPS or if I'm feeling really froggy without GMS and and use F-droid.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Root is my friend (voids your warranty, do at your own risk, yada yada yada;)). If the OEM won't let me remove/disable those apps, I uninstall them with root permission.

I have never read the EULA. I don't agree about 10% of the stuff, but you HAVE to click I agree to continue:mad: so... whatcha gonna do?:p I lie and agree. Sure I'm breaking the EULA by uninstalling the bloatware, still, *Imitates Nixon* I am not a crook.

5. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I can't root because company phone, and they want us to keep it updated so there are no vulnerabilities. I guess that is another dilemma. To follow company guideline I must accepts a license agreement from the software company.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, I suppose the obvious solution is to have a personal phone also. Interesting dilemma that I hadn't thought much about though - thx