License Plate Honoring KKK Leader Proposed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 10, 2011.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Mississippi makes their bid to reclaim the lead from Arizona and Iowa. :rolleyes:

2. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I can understand it if it was proposed for his supposed military prowess (although I never learned about him in school). But I think no matter how much good he could have done could ever outweigh any KKK ties he has.

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Yeah, would kind of limit where you could safely drive the car outside of the state. Might not make it through my neighborhood :eek:

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I feel like a car with this plate would be a prime target for passers-by carrying keys. I'd do my part.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Next up: replacing MLK day as a national holiday with Robert E. Lee's birthday.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Couldn't resist.

9. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

:rolleyes:
    <generalization>Oh, south.</generalization>
    The Sons of Confederate Veterans never ceases to amaze me. Nutjobs.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Most people in my state wouldn't even know who he is, nj schools don't teach much about dumb rednecks from the civil war era.

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

This is a peculiar behavior in certain quarters of the South. I saw it many times in my childhood, and the strategy seems to go like this:

1. Take offense at being regarded as racist, even (or especially) if you are.
    2. Identify a person or symbol widely understood to be offensively racist (e.g., the Confederate Flag).
    3. Invent a strained rationalization for glorifying that person or symbol that supposedly stands independent of the racist implications.
    4. Loudly and publicly lavish attention and praise on that target.
    5. Wait for inevitable cries of racism.
    6. Feign shock and outrage at the ignorance of those who cannot understand the innocuous cobbled-together "historical" justification.
    7. Pretend not to understand why people perceive racism in the object of your worship.
    8. Claim to be simply taking pride in your "heritage."
    9. Insinuate that those attempting to deprive you of your heritage are viciously oppressing you.
    10. Affect superiority.
    11. Go home and complain about political correctness run amok and how the nigras are taking over.

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Couldn't they find a 'hero' from the Civil War who wasn't an esteemed leader of the KKK, especially their first Grand Wizard? Or is Gelfin on point, and they want to play victim?

13. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

History is often written by the victor, so the victor looks good & the loser often looks evil. Even regardless who the victor is, one side always paints themselves good & righteous while the other group is painted as evil.

I find a lot of people tend to dwell on the negative side of things, and seemingly ignore or forget the good aspects of it. Let's take the swastika. Many people correlate it with the Nazis, which most people I've met & talked to regard as evil. Therefore, the swastika is evil. However, the swastika has also been associated as a good luck symbol and so forth. Think of the beginning of the Da Vinci Code movie where Tom Hanks' character is giving the lecture about symbols and how people transformed them.

Another example is my grandmother likes to quilt & is (or at least was) part of this quilting group called the "Dark Quilters". I know, it sounds like some dark, evil Wiccan cult or something. But they call it "Dark" because they like using dark colors. I guess my grandmother like to call the group the "Darkies". When my mom told my sister about how my grandmother calls it the "Darkies," my sister went into this big stink because she saw how the nickname "Darkies" could be misinterpreted to mean African Americans and was saying how my grandmother should "get with the times" and see how "Darkies" could be misconstrued. While that argument does have some merit, I don't totally agree with it. By that argument, I fear that eventually people will misconstrue everything and everyone will be offended by every little thing and be like "Oh, this can perceived in this bad light." And if my sister really wanted to use the argument of "get with the times," she should also "get with the times" and know that the term "Darkies" could have a positive, or at least neutral, meaning. </rant>

14. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

What are the good aspects of the KKK?

15. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Well, um, er, the members share a sense of camaraderie, maybe? :p

Obviously, some things have fewer good points than others.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Perhaps the question should be "What were the good aspects of Gen. Forrest?" He does not appear to have been a totally evil man, though I think he was the one who said, "Life is like a box of 12 gauge cartridges." Or was that "Death"?

17. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Maybe he's as good as they've got.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not surprising. Seems a lot of states are trying to out-stupid each other.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

We have been on the opposite side of average for too long, this is just balancing that out.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Carlin points out a scary truth. :)

21. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

They should be a allowed to do it, bring in extra cash to the state

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why would it bring in extra cash?

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Same reason the GOP pursued the Southern Strategy, because white southerners have more money than black southerners.

24. citizenzen, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

citizenzen macrumors 65816

From the article...

State Department of Revenue spokeswoman Kathy Waterbury said legislators would have to approve a series of Civil War license plates.​

Since it requires legislative approval, I'm okay with it. The legislators are accountable to their constituents, and if the people don't approve then they can express themselves in the next election.

Edit: Just to be clear... I wouldn't be okay with the decision the legislators made. But I'd be okay with the process and the fact that the decision wasn't made by a faceless bureaucrat, but instead an elected official who be accountable to the voters.

25. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

The south needs to really stop idolizing the Confederacy. Because the vast majority of the Confederacy were terrible, terrible racists.