Lid closed operation - InsomniaX, Caffeine, Calibre news fetching, Kindle, etc..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deadkennedy, Jan 27, 2011.

1. deadkennedy macrumors 6502

Slightly confusing title but who's been there know's what Im after. I'm trying to use Calibre to fetch the news and deliver to my Kindle during the night, so in the morning all my news are on the Kindle.

So the workflow for this is built around Calibre, which fetches news automatically from different sources like WSJ, CNN, whatever, converts them to ebook format and sends them to your name@kindle.com address, which then syncs it with the device.

All good in theory, in practice you need to make sure your Macbook is on during the night. Also the wireless needs to work obviously. With the lid closed, after some research I found out I need InsomniaX program and also I installed Caffeine just in case. So I was all set to give it a go.

What happened in the morning is that I hardly woke up my MBP from sleep, I even thought it's dead for a while. When reset, the date was set to 12/31/2000, wireless disconnected and the default wireless forgotten so I had to reconnect and retype the password.

Huge mess in two words. Has anyone had experience with setting up the MBP to run non stop even with the lid closed? Anyone had experience with Calibre and auto news delivery?

Thanks

2. deadkennedy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, second day and the results are much better. All news automatically on my Kindle in the morning, nothing wrong with Mac. Looks like InsomniaX + Caffeine + Calibre works for now. I will keep posting my experiences for the future reference if someone's interested.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Why bother closing the lid in the first place if it runs all night, how about setting a shortcut or gesture to turn screen off?