Lid on 17" Unibody leaves space to see through when closed!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Timur, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

So there is a black rubber band going round the non-glare screen of my new Macbook Pro 17". Unfortunately it doesn't even touch the surface when closing the lid?!

And on one corner the alluminium border around the screen is warped out over the rubber band anyway. Apple's Quality Assurance leaves alot to be desired for a laptop that costs over 2200 Euro. :apple:

Attached Files:

2. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

OMG! You should return it and ask for a new one. When I bought my MPB, after inspecting it under my microscope I found 1 microscratch right next to the trackpad. So I returned it.

3. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Ask for a replacement. It's unacceptable.

4. Timur thread starter macrumors 6502a

Timur

You seem to disagree that leaving at least 2 mm open all around the supposedly closed lid is a real problem?!

Unfortunately it takes Apple 14 days to send a replacement *after* you have to return your unit to them (they ship the new unit directly from China). And this already *is* a replacement unit that I got in order to try whether the new models have a properly working ExpressCard slot (they don't).

I will definitively return this warped thing, but I'm not sure if I am willing to wait for another replacement (my original support case is nearly 1 year old now). Let's see what Apple "Service" comes up with next. :apple:

5. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

This is really bad luck and I would be pissed. For the money you could get a really nice laptop. I would demand my money back and buy somewhere else.

6. Timur thread starter macrumors 6502a

Timur

Unfortunately the latter is a lot less easy as it should be. It's not like I didn't try yet.

7. Timur thread starter macrumors 6502a

Timur

I'm still waiting for a reply from Apple's exchange service, but I'd like to know what the lid looks like on other people's units? Is this normal (and thus completely unprotective) or is it just my unit?

8. vant macrumors 65816

The purpose of the black gasket is to soften the process of closing the laptop. It does not need to be touching at every point. Apple chose this instead of the normal rubber feet for aesthetics.

Most laptops that go with the rubber feet method can be 'see through' also.

9. Timur thread starter macrumors 6502a

Timur

I can only compare with my former 15" Unibody model (with glass front) that closed tighter all around. I suspect that the hinge is constructed with only the glass front in mind and so the models without a glass front leave space in between.

If the rubber is made for "softing the process of closing the laptop" then it fails on the right upper corner where the alluminium bezel is pressed out over the rubber gasket.

10. vant macrumors 65816

Then I would return it. At no point should the aluminum on the lid be touching the aluminum on the top case.

11. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I had this same problem with my 17" and took it to the apple store a few months after buying it and they replaced it without questions