Lid tolerances on Unibody MBP, slight overhang on one side

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Timur, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

Hey ladies! (sorry for probably bad english translations of what I want to write about)

I just got my shiney new Macbok Pro Unibody (late 2008) and wonder about the tolerances of the lid fitting.

I noticed that the lid overhangs the lower body by a little less than 1 mm on the left side while on the right side the lower body overhang the lid accordingly. So the whole lid is very slightly "off axis" (I guess by less than 1°).

It's not a big issue and mostly only noticeable when you stroke (caress ;)) with your finger over the corners. When the lid is closed it doesn't seem to affect the tightness at the corners, but in between the corners there seems to be more space/movement between lid and base on the left side than on the right side (above the superdrive) when slightly pushing the lid towards the base.

Because of the latter I keep the styropor matte that the MBP came with in between the base/keyboard and lid to keep it tight and dustfree.

2. eugeneeya macrumors newbie

mine has the same issue, but i dont even care about it,

3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

a bit OCD are we?

Most peoples macbooks are like that.

But I think you could get Apple to replace it if you fussed enough.

Just schedule a appointment at the genious bar.

4. Timur thread starter macrumors 6502a

Timur

I don't know what OCD means, but I guess it's not positive. ;)

Thanks for the replies. I don't think there is reason to return the MBP because of such a minor issue. I just wanted to know wether this is within the normal tolerances and if others have seen it on their units, too.

At least my lid closes tight enough at both corners while some other users have reported far worse problems with that. There is a little more give at the left side, but not so much as I've seen on some pics around this forum.

Thanks again! :)

PS: I don't think we have those "Genus Bars" here in Germany.

5. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Unfortunately I had to go through 7 mbp's all for different issues. (faulty optical drives, terrible light leaks that were blatantly obvious during every day use ec) Anyway, the point here was that only 2 out of the 7 that I had did NOT have warped lids. So, from what I've seen, it's a pretty common issue. Yes, it's annoying, but if your machine is otherwise perfect, I'd say live with it.

6. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

It is a dysfunction that is present in many Mac owners

Trade for a new one and you may wind up with bad pixels, noisy fans, or other issues.

More use and less stroking should solve your worries :rolleyes:

7. south8212 macrumors 6502

haha true

8. Timur thread starter macrumors 6502a

Timur

It's not even annoying, because it's really so minimal (less than 1 mm). But when you just shove out over 2300 Euro for a 2.8 MBP you better make sure that it's not only yours that comes with an unstraight lid. :cool:

I am a bit annoyed because of the very small vertical viewing angles, but there's nothing you can do about that anyway.