Life is Getting Shorter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It's been reported that the NBA is considering shortening basketball games because of the millennial's shorter attention span.

Will shortening of the game work and what other activities should be shortened for today's instant gratification need ?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You could shorten my work day.

I'd be totally cool with that.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Well basketball is dumb in general nowadays. They play 46 minutes of inconsequential action, to then play 2 minutes of actual game time to determine the outcome. Those final 2 minutes can take about half hour to play because of time outs and delays. Boring. I wouldn't necessarily call that a millennial issue as much as the sport is lacking in it's entertainment value because of how it's delivered. Basketball is an old sport, and needs in reinvention. So to me, it's long overdue for a change.

Basketball aside, I think it's a great topic. Present day society searches for instant gratification more so than previous generations. Whether that's good, bad, or just a sign of the times - I'm not sure.

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Team sports have increasingly become less popular because TV and cable are less popular, and people have other things to do with their time that is more interactive and interest grabbing.

Shortening games does nothing to address the core issues.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I never watched basketball as it has never appealed to me, but regarding long seasons, I also see the hopelessness, or at least poor odds of those people who base their hopes and self esteem on home town victory associated with the extended nature of the baseball season.

Due to the condensed nature of playoffs, I can sometimes bring myself to watch baseball and football playoffs, but this year I'm not really interested in football either. My wife who still shows interest, has about 4 favorite teams and they are falling one by one. ;) Tonight she'll get out her cheese head hat for the Green Bay game. Maybe I'll watch. :)

Update: I just noticed you said they were considering shortening the game, not the season? Gosh, it's only 48 minutes long. What about baseball and football? They should be experiencing the same phenomena. :oops:

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Shorten the meter to a more useful length, say 12 inches.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The delays and time outs in both basketball and football suck. It is why I don't watch the NBA and it is also why I never watch the SuperBowl (I so loathe SuperBowl half-time shows; an advantage of being in the UK is that the BBC sometimes airs the highlights before I get word of who won). It's like basketball and football players can't handle ~one hour of physical activity. At least with soccer we get 90 minutes of dynamic sport, albeit there are occasional thrown-ins, penalty kicks, corners, etc.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I've heard people complain about baseball being boring since at least the late 70s. The pitchers take too long, the batters hit too many foul balls, the umpires don't call balks, the players lag leaving the field when the inning's over, yada yada.

Few have the good excuse for complaining, though, that those have who went to the 1981 game between the Rochester Red Wings and the Pawtucket Red Sox on the 18th and 19th of April 1981. That game went 33 innings, although the last inning wasn't actually played until,,, yah, June 23rd. The first 32 innings took 8.5 hours...

Baseball is about timelessness, give or take the occasional umpire actually calling a balk. So it's not like we don't know what we could be getting into if we settle into the bleachers or switch the TV on for a game. We could be watching the same game six hours later. It's America, on its own time: baseball time.

So I believe it's not that baseball's ever really boring. It's intriguing how many ways a baseball can end up doing something completely unpredictable in the seconds after it's thrown or hit. The incredulity when a long fly ball just drops onto the grass courtsey of two guys making the same wrong assumption. The night a high popup coming down hits a seagull staggering in flight under the weight of half a stolen hotdog bun, with the (huge) bird, the ball and the bun all landing in front of a very confused infielder. The night your kid catches that "almost a home run" foul ball and asks if you think the hitter will sign it for him (sure he will, it's double A ball and the closest to celebrity that player will probably ever get).

Maybe in the more routine moments, it's not about boredom either, maybe just that people are afraid to encounter any free space in their head; they might run into themselves up there during that little silence between the pitch and the crack of the bat, or the longer ones when some batter's being walked onto first, or the low rumble when some manager's holding a conference on the mound about a pitching change.

"Christ," my father said one night at a Red Wings game, "your mother could have bought a dress in the time this guy's taking." He raised his voice to a shout then: "Make up your damn mind!" he yelled from our spot in the bleachers. I was totally impressed. My Dad knew how long everything should take, even triple-A baseball.

We might be losing our grip on what makes baseball baseball. It was made for giving us time to think about things we're not forced to think about, for a change. Free time. Why would we want to shorten that up! :eek:

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I have no issue with the mechanics of baseball, other than it's 8 innings/3 hrs long. It's more subtle, but it has a unique quality that in it's own way is superior to football. That said, football is a much more physical game and has a different appeal. In either case ninety minutes is fine by me. :)

11. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

I can't speak for basketball but for F1, I would not mind having shorter races, most races just drag on and become a snore fest.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I watched live some of the 12 games for the World Chess Championship so... I am not part of the problem ;)
    I also love baseball and soccer.

In any case I don't think that attention span is diminishing, I think that youngsters give less importance to things for a prolonged time.