LifeProof Fre iPhone 11 / iPhone 11 Pro Max

Armyrules2

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
So after a battle with lifeproof over the bubbles on my 11 pro black fre case I decided to try and solve the problem myself. I remember years ago the otterbox defender cases had a similar problem and that was solved with baby powder. So I just took my case off, cleaned it really good with some lens wipes and tape, then I lightly dusted the inside of the screen protector with baby powder. Be sure to do this light enough so you can't see it. For me this completely got rid of the bubbles. I emailed lifeproof and told them my solution as well.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
So after a battle with lifeproof over the bubbles on my 11 pro black fre case I decided to try and solve the problem myself. I remember years ago the otterbox defender cases had a similar problem and that was solved with baby powder. So I just took my case off, cleaned it really good with some lens wipes and tape, then I lightly dusted the inside of the screen protector with baby powder. Be sure to do this light enough so you can't see it. For me this completely got rid of the bubbles. I emailed lifeproof and told them my solution as well.
Having to doctor some concoction together to compensate for their inability to make a decent case, that costs a LOT, is hardly a fix though.

Reactions: Hooterville

Armyrules2

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Having to doctor some concoction together to compensate for their inability to make a decent case, that costs a LOT, is hardly a fix though.
Agreed but it's better than having a case with bubbles under the screen. Or a case that's a color I don't want.

bobsamm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2019
Agreed but it's better than having a case with bubbles under the screen. Or a case that's a color I don't want.
That fix has been around ever since they started making them, so they have pretty much never been able to make the screen to not have the problem.

icecloud

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2020
Anyone have new info on this? I am thinking of picking up the Mustard Yellow/ Atomic 16 for my Pro Max. Has anyone tried to clean the inside of the protector with dawn dish soap And hot water? I read a few reviews that have said this works but i am not sure. Did the engineers give any feedback? I am curious to see how serious of a problem this actually is. Is it a residue on the protector itself that can be cleaned off or is it the material it is made of? Without the case in front of me it is hard to tell. Thanks

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I too have been repeatedly disappointed by the Lifeproof Frē. It’s has gotten thinner but there was always an issue with the built in screen protector. I finally gave up on it. Now I just use the Rugged Case from Nomad. Since Im on Annual Upgrade program I don’t worry much about damage. Pretty careful anyway. Let Lifeproof go!

Leggee

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
Japan
I had Lifeproof from the iPhone 4 to the 6 and they progressively got worse—the silent switch lever was notorious for breaking, thus breaking the waterproof sealing. I switched to Catalyst and they were perfect—the silent dial being a huge upgrade and also the charging port rubber seal was much easier to deal with.
- - Post merged: - -

I was wondering about the screen, will it need baby powder also?
Had catalyst for an iPhone 6 and 7. Zero issues, no bubbles. Didn’t scratch lots from my memory.