Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I have an iPhone 5 Fre case, an iPhone 5 Nuud case and an iPhone 5S Nuud case and I just compared the lightning holes on all three cases. The holes on the iPhone 5 cases both appear to be the same size and they are both ever so slightly larger than the hole on the 5S Nuud case.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Got a nuud coming, hate the screen protector on the Fre, it sits flush but just looks crap. Liked everything else about it. Time will tell.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I have an iPhone 5 Fre case, an iPhone 5 Nuud case and an iPhone 5S Nuud case and I just compared the lightning holes on all three cases. The holes on the iPhone 5 cases both appear to be the same size and they are both ever so slightly larger than the hole on the 5S Nuud case.

I shaved down a griffin car charger to fit the fre and it fits the nuud too, just.

----------

I like everything about the nuud except opening the control centre. Do they test these cases before they put them out for sale. They need instructions saying CONTROL CENTER WORKS BEST IF YOU FLICK UP FROM THE LEFT CORNER. Otherwise you can flick 3-10 times to get it to work.
Really spoils this case.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
The iPhone 5 Nuud case came out before the control center existed... Even before it was in beta, so they couldn't have tested it. The iPhone 5S Nuud case did come out after the control center existed and they did change the angle of the bezel a bit to make it easier to access the control center than with the iPhone 5 case. It's still not nearly as easy as with a naked phone, but it's not too bad.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Just off loaded my nuud on ebay, there is no winning with these cases. The fre is ok except for the screen protector is very grainy, OB's are better. The nuud back cover is very plastic/cheap and feels it to hold, and control center is a pain to use.
Both are not good for every day use, if i had to choose one for casual use for water protection it would be the Fre.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I tested the lifeproof nuud iphone 5 with test plastic inside....in a pond in our garden....beneath the water surface, for a total of 4 days straight. It survived. The rubber band sealing the case had dust on it. No single drop of water penetrated the case. I also tested with my iphone 5s inside for 10 minutes. Left it in the pond for that 10 minutes. Then shaked the case around in the water to try to re-produce the real life usage i plan to have with it.(swimming in a pool or lake). It survived very well.
Pleased so far, but did NOT test rough usage in the pool yet. (Jumping off a diving plank, going through rough the waterslides etc.)

jayrflow

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2013
I don't see what people are complaining about. I love my Nuud. The back doesn't feel too cheap to me. It's plastic guys. What do you expect plastic to feel. It has a few light scratches but not many. It isn't my every day case but I do take it to work about 3x a week. Control center can be a pain at times. It would take me 2-3 times at first but I can almost nail it on the first time most of the times. Sometimes it takes 2 swipes to do it. I don't see why some of you guys nit pick so much.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Just off loaded my nuud on ebay, there is no winning with these cases. The fre is ok except for the screen protector is very grainy, OB's are better. The nuud back cover is very plastic/cheap and feels it to hold, and control center is a pain to use.
Both are not good for every day use, if i had to choose one for casual use for water protection it would be the Fre.

I agree. Exchanged a Fre for the Nuud, but just went back to the Fre. Fingerprint ID, control center, and typing are all easier with the Fre.

And the back of the Nuud case gets ridiculously scuffed and scratched within weeks. It looks terrible pretty quick for a $90 case. I didn't think the back cover of the Nuud felt cheap, but it sure looked it after almost no time at all.

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
No complaints from my callers. Happy with the case so far just wish the hole for the home button was a tad larger.

alexmadison

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
Johnstown, NY

That's where I was thinking of picking one up, on ebay.

Miguel760

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2013
Is the double click/triple click function accessible with this case? i'm highly considering it. I currently have a Otterbox defender on my 5s and hate that it always gets stuck when sliding out my pockets.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Is the double click/triple click function accessible with this case? i'm highly considering it. I currently have a Otterbox defender on my 5s and hate that it always gets stuck when sliding out my pockets.

Many people claim to be difficult to access control center and notification center with this case, but I can access both just fine, no problem. And yes clicking your home button is not a problem.

Miguel760

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2013
Many people claim to be difficult to access control center and notification center with this case, but I can access both just fine, no problem. And yes clicking your home button is not a problem.

Awesome thanks. I use the triple click function through accessibility to invert colors quite a bit. I was worried this would be a issue with this case.

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
Tried out the Nuud for a couple days (long time Fre user because of work) and I couldn't stand it. I think it looks horrible, control center access is difficult, didn't like the huge lip around the screen and just worrying that a piece of dust or whatever could get stuck in the screen seal would ruin it. The screen protector on the Fre is far from perfect but it give me the protection I need!

Miguel760

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2013
I went to my local verizon store to buy the nuud and ended up getting the fre. So far im loving it and have had no problem using touch id.

TimDavid79

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
NYC
I got the lifeproof case for my 5s and returned it the next day :(
I barely could hear the other person on the other line. Plus they said I sounded echo-y :(

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
To answer some questions, I have had my lifeproof nuud for the 5s for about 2-3 weeks now. Previously I had the spigen glas.tR nano temepered glass screen protector (0.23 thickness) on my phone. I tried it with the nuud case but it was too thick, so I ordered the Mime Feather + tempered glass screen protector (0.15 thickness) which actually has a higher impact rating (9h) then the spigen (8h). I have had the Mime on my phone with the nuud case for just over a week now. It works perfectly, no issues at all for me, headphones still go in perfectly, as well as the lightning charger (3rd party one at that). I have been in the shower and swimming (indoor pool) with it. no issues for me.

I wish I can say I have the same experience but sadly no :(

Bought the nuud for my 5s last night and installed my Mime Feather, but the bottom outer seal is popping up.

Now I'm not sure if I should return the nuud or waste $30 and toss my Mime Feather :(

hrussel6

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2014
Lifeproof nuud screen protector

I saw your many replies about the screen protector you use. i tried several with the nuud case and I know they don't recommend using a full screen one but I couldn't stand the plastic one it came with. I found a glass screen protector at Teqii.com that just fits the opening of the case so it doesn't interfere with the gasket. Thought I would let you know so no one has to cut their own anymore!

Jon347

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2012
SoCal
After reading your review I looked them up and ordered one. Couldn't be happier with the results and not worry about my screen getting scratched or using the crappy plastic film.
I saw your many replies about the screen protector you use. i tried several with the nuud case and I know they don't recommend using a full screen one but I couldn't stand the plastic one it came with. I found a glass screen protector at Teqii.com that just fits the opening of the case so it doesn't interfere with the gasket. Thought I would let you know so no one has to cut their own anymore!

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Pics please ofnthe glas screen in the nuud. I may consider this than. Thanks

MacinAppleTosh

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2013
Can anyone comment on how easy the nuud is to remove?

I am looking for a waterproof case to use just on the weekends so a big factor would be that the case needs to be easy to put on and take off.
I am between the nuud and the otterbox preserver (also considering the incipio atlas) but have heard the preserver can be somewhat difficult to take off.
Any thoughts?

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Can anyone comment on how easy the nuud is to remove?

I am looking for a waterproof case to use just on the weekends so a big factor would be that the case needs to be easy to put on and take off.

I am between the nuud and the otterbox preserver (also considering the incipio atlas) but have heard the preserver can be somewhat difficult to take off.

Any thoughts?

It's not real easy to take on and off.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
LifeProof Nüüd (iPhone 5s) Review

I am using this case with the spigen nano and it works perfect.

I also read someone contacted lifeproof and their customer support said the nuud would work with a glass screen protector that is smaller than .2 mm. The spigen nano is .15mm.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.