LifeProof Review SPOILER: It Sucks Less Than First Believed

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cbmstocks, Mar 7, 2012.

1. cbmstocks, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

cbmstocks macrumors member

unboxing:
    attractive packaging, great presentation to customer
    neatly packaged and presented product

water test:
    the first case i bought failed the water test, so i contacted support
    two weeks later i received a new one in the mail that did pass the test

pros
    -makes the back of the phone much more attractive
    -gives enough heft to the phone so it's more comfortable to use
    but not too much so it feels like an otterbox
    -no rear camera or flash degradation
    -good headset quality

cons
    -if you love the way your old palm treo felt while using the touch screen,
    you'll love this case. however, i hate using my phone because of it
    -front camera has a noticeable glare when used in high light situations
    -volume buttons are difficult to push
    -the 30 pin cover is flimsy, and after less than a month of use i don't trust
    it to be waterproof at all
    -loud/silent slider directions are reversed (pull towards front of phone is silent)
    -horrible main speaker quality
    -rubber seal visible at camera opening
    -the nubson the back of case does not sit flush with back of the phone, so there is give when it's pressed
    and it vibrates when the speaker rings
    _-_ and the big problem i somehow forgot to mention is the fact that with voice memos, video recording, speakerphone calls and siri usage, the input is garbled and faint. making all these features virtually useless

i would recommend against buying this case. i do not trust the drop, water, or dust protection. build quality and durability are definitely questioned.

i've seen water droplets on the inside of the dock connector and have had dust under the s creen protector. i have yet to drop the phone in this case, but i don't have a fuzzy feeling about what will happen when i do

2. tygrubb macrumors regular

Sorry you had a negative experience with sound quality. I haven't had any trouble with sound whatsoever. The only problem I've had is with the pillowing of the screen protector.

This case seems to be a popular whipping boy for this forum, which is a bit unfair. While I certainly don't want to discount or minimize the experiences of those who have had genuine problems, readers need to be aware that for many, if not most, the case functions as designed.

Get it from Best Buy for a quick return if you have issues with it.

3. cbmstocks thread starter macrumors member

luckily i'm not busy at work today and can answer this response quickly.

I bought it directly from LifeProof, even after reading all of the negative reviews. Both of my cases had the issues I stated. I tried so hard to love this case. I just can't. On top of everything, customer service took longer than they should have to ship my replacement. If you've had a positive experience, that's great. My recommendation would be not to buy the case. If you feel otherwise, post elsewhere

4. tygrubb macrumors regular

Like I said, I'm sorry if you had a negative experience and in no way do I intend to minimize that and I do understand your frustration. You're certainly not the only who have both sound issues and slow customer service response. It seems there's some QC issues going on with them.

Now you're out of line. Don't tell me where to post. I will escalate this to the moderators if needed.

5. cbmstocks thread starter macrumors member

MOMMY MOMMY THE MEAN MAN ON THE INTERNET TOLD ME TO GO AWAY!

you were the one that came into my thread touting your experience. clearly the majority of people have had qc issues, including you. yet you get mad at me for giving it a bad review. i gave my opinion. make your own thread about yours

6. guccigucci88, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

Lifeproof is notorious for their terrible customer service. How is it unfair at all to post about how crap the case is? So people that have a bad experience are supposed to lie about it and say its a great case just because too many people have put it down and it's not fair to lifeproof? Lol.

"I will escalate this to the moderators if needed. "

I feel sorry for you.

7. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

You post a review on a discussion board and don't expect anyone to post in your thread unless they agree with you?? Maybe you should call your mommy.. Lol

8. cbmstocks thread starter macrumors member

pretty proud of yourself for that one eh

he told me i was being unfair to lifeproof. i told him to make a new thread regarding his experiences with the product. i truly wish this forum allowed swearing, because i have a few choice words for people like you.

9. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

10. cbmstocks thread starter macrumors member

no thanks sweetie. i'm not into that sort of thing.

back on topic. has anyone heated up the screen protector in an effort to get it to shrink? the furled edges where the cases meet are a lost cause, but maybe i can fix the largest caveat

11. tygrubb macrumors regular

Go back and read my actual post.

And I feel sorry for you.

12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I didn't even bother reading your rant, but just wanted to say ****. I love mine. Best freaking waterproof case ever made as of today.

13. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

14. iAppl3 macrumors newbie

Honestly, I wouldn't be counting best buy reviews as highly credible reviews IMO. Amazon, Maybe and you can get real obsessive compulsive reviews from people on this forum ;)

15. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

Check the macrumors lifeproof thread for the real reviews.

16. white4s macrumors 65816

a friend has it and loves it, sound is actually amplified and passes any water test

17. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I got the case for my son. He is 16 and he loves it and it works well. Slimmer than the otterbox my younger son has.

18. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

my life proof failed. my iPhone was ruined. I did the water test and everything. faulty headphone plug was the cause. my phone wasn't even fully submerged and it still failed. full refund. and 200 to apple. so 120 for a brand new iPhone. I've spend 120 on worse things. Still upsetting.

19. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

This thread was more interesting when cbmstocks and tygrubb were bickering back and forth.

20. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

ouch...

Thanks lifeproof!

21. cbmstocks thread starter macrumors member

not allowed. can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

yup.

your friend pressed the little button on the side that increases volume

i don't feel comfortable contacting customer support again for my second qc issue. i like the case. i really do. there's just a few things i despise about it.. and that makes it not good. that being said, i am still using it. so i just bitch and moan because i can. i'm getting used to the screen protector ever so slowly.

i would recommend this before an otterbox. but i've had qc issues with both. i am rough with my phone, but not to the extent of some. and they don't have problems.

know that feel. not lifeproof related though. yet..

22. white4s macrumors 65816

no not really, like i said the sound is amplified by the design of the case

23. cbmstocks thread starter macrumors member

you're misinformed. there's no way that's possible. the sound waves pass through a waterproof membrane. in no way does that amplify sound. it may seem louder because the sound is more directional when at certain angles, but that's it.

24. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It's a shame that a review of a product turns into a flame war. Oh wait, this always happens. :D

Does anyone know from experience how this compares to the Otterbox Defender when it comes to drop protection?

25. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

Exactly, this guy has absolutely no idea what hes talking about. He doesnt even have a lifeproof... Common sense alone would show that a phone completely encased in a waterproof case would have sound degraded. But i guess this harry potter fan believes magically sound is enhanced.