Lifestyle Choice: Would you give up driving a German car for getting the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raptorstv, Dec 13, 2012.

Which choice would you choose?

1. Choice #1

44 vote(s)
  2. Choice #2

48 vote(s)
  1. raptorstv macrumors 6502

Mar 24, 2011
    Imagine you are in my situation, I am trying to figure out what's more worth it to spend my disposable income on....

Choice #1
    - German car (i.e. Audi A4/BMW 3)
    - Sony Vaio S laptop

Choice #2
    - Japanese car (i.e. Honda Accord)
    - rMBP 15" with 3-year AppleCare
    - whatever left will probably be spent on either iTV (next year) or branded clothes
  2. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

Aug 27, 2012
    The BMW m3 is a great car. I suggest getting that and then save a bit more for the rMbp.
  3. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2007
    why not get a German car and rMBP 15 without Apple care?
  4. Ploki macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2008
    Whatever...Branded clothes?

Imagining being in your situation I would pick a Japanese car, since I prefer them over german cars by a long-shot anyway. Honda Accord is a great durable reliable car.

Since the laptop price difference (500-1000?) makes such a big difference in picking a car I'm presuming you're speaking of used vehicles, yes? In that case Japanese make makes even more sense.
  5. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2011
    Choice #3 BMW 3 series and rMBP. (y)
    I own a mercedes and a rMBP , hard work pays off. cheers :)
  6. teaophile macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2012
    You must be in, or putting yourself into a terrible financial position. In this extremely hypothetical situation, as much as I love cars, I'd have to take the computer. It's more important to me in my work/daily life.
  7. T5BRICK macrumors G3

Aug 3, 2006
    Is this really that much of a stretch to buy the rMBP if you buy the German car? Have you factored in repair costs for the car?
  8. raptorstv thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 24, 2011
    Yeah im keeping that in mind too
  9. stevemiller macrumors 68000

Oct 27, 2008
    i have a 2011 mbp (which is my primary tool for income), 2012 prius c, and i barely spend any money on clothes.

those are my priorities :cool:
  10. raptorstv thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 24, 2011
    For some reason i just feel guilty if I do get both of them
  11. alphaod macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    If you're getting a Bimmer, you absolutely need to use Apple products; if you didn't realize BMWs were the first to have iPod integration ;)

So I'm afraid it's either BMW with rMBP or bust.
  12. raptorstv thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 24, 2011
    Well i will be totally screwed if it does break down... Im planning to use it for gaming, i want a peace in mind when using the rmbp even if it gets heated up so bad
  13. alphaod macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    If you seem the cost of repairs for a German car, repairs for a Mac is like tipping!

Recently my AC compressor broke and the shop wanted $1500 for parts alone and then 6 hours of labor. That would get your a rMBP.

In serious manner (if this thread should even be taken seriously), have you considered something like a VW? A friend of mine just bought a Jetta TDI for a DD; very nicely equipped, cheap consumables, good mileage.
  14. omni macrumors 6502

Jan 20, 2008
    German car has the potential to get you laid. rMBP does not.

Get a car and a refurbished 13" MBA
  15. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2007
    How about buying a 2011 cMBP-15 upgrading it to 16GB and 256GB SSD.

A CPO 2009 Audi A4.
  16. TSE macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2007
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Not a particular fan of german cars here in the states since they are so expensive to fix. But also not a fan of Hondas. Tough choice.

I say Thinkpad X230 and Chevy Camaro. :D
  17. alphaod, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

alphaod macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    I want a Camaro :p

Already have the a Thinkpad ;)
  18. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2008
    What a strange choice. Are you choosing Audi A4/BMW 3 because of the badge or because of the performance? Seems like compact sedans seem like an odd choice to be considering against a bloated, full-size family sedan.

I'd suggest a compromise - 4-door GTI and get the MacBook.

If you do make the choice to go PC, I second the suggestion to go for a ThinkPad. Don't get the Vaio.
  19. adam044 macrumors 65816

Jan 24, 2012
  20. MrPresident macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2009
  21. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2007
    Hard to find pre-GM (ie real) SAABs these days.
  22. Erasmus, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

Erasmus macrumors 68030

Jun 22, 2006
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    Japanese car. Audis and BMWs (in the words of the original Top Gear team) are for cocks.

How about a nice Subaru? They last forever! (anecdotal evidence)

P.S. We are squabbling over a few hundred dollars up or down on a ~$50,000 shell-out, right???
  23. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

Aug 1, 2009
    I love cars. If I had to choose between a car and a laptop [ strange option ], I'd get a car first unless the laptop is an absolute requirement for my income.

Also another vote for Subaru. Just bought a 3.6 Limited Outback and it's absolutely awesome!! Most people pass over Subarus [just like Saabs] like it's some alien and/or low end brand. Subaru was created by Toyota's top engineers, and well.. it's a long story. It's a real pleasure to drive!

I do own a '09 [ V10 / 5.0L ] BMW M5 and it's just amazing to drive, but not the most comfortable as a DD, especially for long distances. Repairs..well ..they're expensive. Although, I haven't needed much yet except tires!

I also own a 2011 LS7 Corvette and man this thing is a BEAST!!! The interior may not match up to Audis, Lexus etc..but damn!! If you appreciate raw power over badge, do not ignore the C6 !! They look pretty sharp too :D

However, between German and Jap, I'd take Japs! My brother drives a Lexus IS350 and it's pretty nimble and the interior is of course what you'd expect from Toyota's elite line up! Acura [ TL / TL-S ] are pretty darn good, although I don't really care for the current geometrically designed generation of TLs!

The M5 is the garage queen ; LS7 is the weekend / track monster ; and Subaru is the DD.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get a Japanese car/SUV/Crossover etc.. and the rMBP.
  24. raptorstv thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 24, 2011
    I guess I will get the Audi a4 no matter what.... Can't resist the new improvement on the 2013 model :9