LIFG Publishes "New Jihad Code"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Nov 11, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/11/09/libya.jihadi.code/

Appears to be an extensive CNN effort... really interesting insight into the world of Muslim insurgency...

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Divide and conquer, isolate Al Qaeda from the mainstream resistance and influence. Wonder what releasing al Megrahi had to do with the Libyans easing this along?

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Fair question, although it looks like the Libyans have been at this for their own reasons (protecting the Ghaddafi regime from Al Qaeda) for quite a long time, actually. I'll be curious to see how this plays out -- it's a part of the world of Islam that I don't think we understand all too well. A sort of Jihad Jerry Maguire move. :D

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

So in other words, the Lybian jihadist are proclaiming to the world that jihad tactics must not harm civilians (women, children, elderly people, priests, messengers, traders and the like).

This is in order for the world to grasp the true meaning of jihad and that Al Qaeda's jihad is morally wrong and frowned upon by Muslims? Am I getting that right? :confused::confused:

5. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think that's basically right. It sounds a little ridiculous, but at the same time, jihad I guess more broadly means to the Muslim world when religion justifies war -- Jihad itself isn't a call to terrorism per se, in principle. At that level the West has long discussed standards for when a war is justified (many of which our invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan would not meet).

The people it might possibly persuade -- I guess that Libya hopes to sway -- are clerics and young people who might become freedom fighters.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Not to mention this sounds eerily similar to the conventional rules of war that most armies have agreed upon for many years (though, of course in war, those rules are always broken by someone, somewhere). Even in WWII the German army (not to be confused by the SS) frowned upon killing medics and regular folk.

This definitely pulls away from the extremism seen in many radical Muslim organizations today. This... will be interesting.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

They could put this on an iPhone app....just a suggestion

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Interesting that messengers and traders get a special mention. Although, considering the role trading played in the history of the Middle East, and Libya too I suppose, it shouldn't be surprising.

9. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

"at the end of the game, money trumps all"

10. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But actually, especially as you go back to some of these nomadic traditions of the region, the idea of honor is very important in the culture into which Islam was born.