Lighroom/Photoshop on 15" rMBP - is screen size an issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Norkusa, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Norkusa macrumors member

Norkusa

I'm a photographer and my 2006 20" iMac desperately needs to be replaced. I can't decide between the 27" iMac or a 15" rMBP.

The main worry I have is that the screen size of the rMBP would be too small to do any serious photo editing with. I realize that I can buy an 27" Thunderbolt display but I really don't want to spend more than $3000. Suppose I could always get one later though.

Anyone here do a lot of work with Photoshop & Lightroom on their 15" rMBP's? If so, how do you like it?

2. skasol macrumors 6502

I do a lot of work with my 15 cmbp 15". Screen size isn't an issue at all. I edited files from my 1dx as well as 5d mkIII. Good luck.

3. Schranke, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

Do not use adobe, but do a lot of editing with aperture and pixelmator.
    Running my rMBP in 1920x1200.
    Never used a iMac but upgraded from an old 15".
    I love the screen, the computer and the power it puts out.
    I am often moving around, traveling by train and love the fact that i can use the time editing my photos.
    If you want to be able to do some more editing away from home, lets say on a long vacation. then the rMBP will be an awesome choice.
    If you do not care about editing at the same desk all the time, then go for a 27" iMac.
    I will say buy the 15" rMBP and IF you want a big screen for office editing get at display down the road.

4. Norkusa thread starter macrumors member

Norkusa

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm definitely leaning more towards a rMBP now.

I did demo a 15" rMBP with Photoshop recently at an Apple store. It looked fine but I was only there for 5 minutes, so not really enough time to decide if I'd like/hate it.

5. skasol macrumors 6502

They do have a 14 day return policy in case you wanna give it a try at home.

6. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

My friend does a lot of Lightroom editing on his 13" cMBP and it seems to work for him. I would say a 15" rMBP would be fine.

7. phixionalninja macrumors member

Now that CS6 has been updated with retina support, I'm absolutely loving the 15" rMBP for photo editing. I just wish they had updated Bridge as well...

8. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Being able to edit at 1:1 at 220DPI (far closer to print DPI) is amazing, interestingly this is better for some editing tasks than larger low DPI monitors, and as you can run both (I have a 27" apple display) this is editing nerdvana... I personally still run Lightroom at 2880x1800 on my rMBP panel as I know my way round keyboard wise and the reduction in UI chrome leaving lots of high DPI image visible is just great...