Lighting cables

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by baltoyyz, Sep 17, 2012.

1. baltoyyz macrumors member

While waiting for my 5 pre order to arrive I was thinking that I need a bunch more of the new cables. One home, one for the car, one for the office and one for my computer bag. When do you think the cables we will available in the apple store or big box stores? I would love to grab a couple extra to have before launch I would hate to have to go to an apple store on launch day.

2. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I called my local Apple store on Friday and they had no clue. I'll probably call again tomorrow. I expect there to be a mad rush for them come Friday and I'm hoping if they are available before then I can pick up one or two.

3. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

i will probably have to just live with the cable that came with my 5 for a short time until supplies get better and hopefully 3rd party manf. make it cheaper like belkin, griffin, incase etc...

4. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Ok. So I'm not delusional. I was looking around on their site for the cables to order when I get the connector adaptor for my stereo and couldn't find it.

5. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

The Apple store had the cables, I ordered two a few days ago and they will be here tomorrow. They had no adapters in stock

6. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I ordered 3 from the Apple Store site on Thursday of last week. It's free shipping for orders of $50 or more and it took 3 to cross that threshold. I got my shipping notice this AM and they will be here Wednesday. I think new orders are showing shipping times as "2 to 3 weeks", so finding them at a retail Apple location might be best, as long as you have one reasonably close. Who knows what Best Buy or other big retailers will have.

7. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

This seller on Amazon is listed lightning cables and adapters for $10 available for purchase starting on the 26th. I'm not sure how much I would trust for it to work right since I know nothing about the seller, but that's the first I've seen of third party sellers with lightning cables/adapters. They just added their logo to Apple's images.

8. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

On the website?

9. baltoyyz thread starter macrumors member

There were rumors that Apple was not granting 3rd party accessory makers access to the new connector until next year. If this is true then it will be a while before the prices drop.

10. appswipe macrumors 6502

According to Engadget Mobile's podcast then the lightning cables are a pretty complicated thing so reverse engineering them by 3rd party could take "years".

While I doubt it will take "years", Im guessing it wont be fast either and that really stinks because I need about five extras right away and dont feel like spending $100 on new cables (or $30 a pop on 30pin adapters).

11. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

well that stinks, but i guess it's their patented product, their rules :(

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Someone is selling then on eBay in 10-packs for $75.

13. dasams macrumors member

dasams

Yes, I also ordered form the website last week. Two cables plus two adapters = free shipping. The cables will be here Thu and the adapters next month.

14. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Available the 26th because they are waiting for their order to arrive to reverse engineer it and make lower cost 3rd party versions.

15. blugel macrumors member

Any ideas if the places selling the iPhone 5 this Friday will have the cables in stock at some time (Best Buy, Walmart, etc etc)?

16. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Cable variations?

So the new phone connector is called 'lightning' and is designed to match mac's 'Thunderbolt' port.

Now I'm a pc person so bear with me. I assume pairing the thunderbolt with the lightning has a speed advantage over lightning to usb2, so, are there thunderbolt to lightning cables, and are there lightning to usb3 cables for us that are pc people ?.

confused of London

17. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Yep at the Apple store. They did not have the adapter but had the cables to ship right then. They are on the truck for delivery today.

18. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Lightning is USB 2.0 compatible :)

19. Badfoot macrumors 6502

But for people with macs, I'm assuming there will be a lightning to thunderbolt cable, so would this arrangement be faster than lightning to usb2?, else why the lightning connector, is it JUST for size reduction?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How much you want to bet the Chinese will bootleg them and start selling them for $1 each in a few weeks?
    There's no way I'm paying $30 or $39 for a wire.

----------

That's bs.
    Years to copy a wire?
    You really believe that?

21. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

There is no Lightning to Thunderbolt.
    There is Lightning to USB and then there are adapters for Lightning to micro-USB and Lightning to old 30-pin.
    Adapters for Lightning to HDMI are also coming.

22. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

The Lightning to USB cable is $19.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Still up there IMO.
    If people can sell them and make a profit for $1-2 each there's no reason they should be $19 or $29.

24. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I agree $19 seems high, but I've had some $1-2 ones and they last about that long in weeks. I bought 2 Apple ones to tide me over until some decent third party ones come out. I like the RND ones on Amazon. They were $10 and have lasted very well.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I have all my eBay and mono price cables still working for years without one fail.
    It's just a wire, not brain surgery:)