Lightning and Car Stereo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by qckslvrsiete, Oct 2, 2012.

1. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

Thought I'd share this story because I couldn't find any answers on the internet until I tried this myself.

I have a Kenwood stereo with USB input and iPod control in my car (didn't come with the car, I bought and installed it myself, specifically for the iPod control). The interface has worked flawlessly with my iPhone 4, and while I really wanted to get an iPhone 5, reading about the cable I had resigned myself to believing I would have to buy a $30 adapter to keep the functionality, and even then, it still might not work. I finally got the iPhone 5, and being as no lightning to 30-pin adapters were available I went ahead and plugged the thing directly into my stereo to see what would happen. At first, it was stuck on the "Reading" screen forever, and I assumed it didn't work -- that was right out of the box in the store parking lot. When I got home, I restored my new iP5 in iTunes to get the data from my old phone. Tried for kicks plugging it to the stereo directly again and it worked fine. Apparently, from what I gather, the reading issue had to do with iOS 6 (a problem with the fresh/factory install -- the restore still kept iOS 6 but fixed whatever was causing the error) and nothing to do with the cable. I can confirm that my iPhone 5 is working with and can be controlled by my car stereo WITHOUT THE LIGHTNING ADAPTER.

I post this primarily to give everyone my lesson learned -- if you're hesitant about the iP5 because of accessory compatibility, just try it out first. That's what I did and I saved myself $30.

Also worth noting, is that I found out later that the iPod controls on my stereo use a fully digital interface, which is why the lightning cable worked. If you have a stereo or car interface that works the same, I think you have a good shot at being okay.

Hope this helped!

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I your car/cd player works now by plugging in the 30 pin cable it will work when you plug in a lightning cable. The potential issues are for devices that have built in 30 pin cables. Those are going to depend on how the interface is built to work. Some rely on iPod out and some don't.

3. qckslvrsiete thread starter macrumors regular

This is exactly the info I was trying to find before the experience above. Unfortunately, every article I could find before I got my phone (mid last week) was very confusingly written. I think this info can help with clarifying for a lot of folks that had the same concern as me.

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Now the adapter page makes no mention of iPod out issues... It only says that it does not support video now.

5. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

This makes me feel a little better, I have a Pioneer head unit en route to me with dual USB. I was concerned that it may not work with the iP5.

6. RenoG macrumors 65816

.....and this is awesome information, thank you soooo much....

7. hamkir macrumors newbie

Yup I put an awesome Pioneer head unit in my car earlier this year and I was terrified nothing would work right with my iPhone 5 but I plugged in the lightning cable and everything works just fine, even the built in Pandora controls.

Everything works beautifully over bluetooth as well, including Siri and turn by turn nav.

8. junker macrumors 6502

junker

would you mind telling us what the model number is of your unit? I'm looking to add one to my toyota 2000 tacoma and from what I've been reading, it doesn't look very promising yet with the iPhone 5 and the pioneer, alpine and jvc....at least from Best buy choices anyway. :)

Also, are you using the bluetooth to play music or plugging in with the USB?

9. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I have a pioneer head unit in my new scion xd and it works great with the iP5 either plugged into the USB, making Bluetooth calls, and streaming music via Bluetooth.

10. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I put a Pioneer DEH-80PRS in my Jeep, all functions work great with the iPhone 5.