Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vendris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Greetings people,

Yesterday I received my iPhone 5 and took it in the car all day today (work van) which got a build-in usb plug for ipod and iphones, car is brand new otherwise.

After a few hour of listening music via the iPhone which was connected to the car via the Lightning cable, I wanted to skip to the next song, which before, worked just fine. Instead of skipping to the next song the radio fulled ignored my input and kept on playing the current song, about 10 seconds later, stopped working altogheter as if the usb was disconnected. Assuming something might be faulty with the car radio I restarted the radio and reconnected the plug, which resulting in nothing at all, doesnt seem to find the albums etc anymore.

The iPhone charges just fine via the usb plug, and I could sync via iTunes without problems, it however simply wont work with the radio anymore.

When I got home I tested it in my own car's pioneer, same problem, detects iPod / iPhone connected, but wont list any songs (reading device) and eventually throws an error that it cant be read.

Then went on to test in my Merc's Command radio system, which is officially compatible with iOs 6 and iPhone 5, also the same problem as mentioned with the pioneer radio.

Safe to say its definitely not the radios used. As I'm new to iPhone's and iOs I was wondering what you experts think about this whole situation.

Any toughts on this situation?

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Take it in for an exchange. Its not an ordinary plug and contains a processor which may have gone bad.

vendris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Take it in for an exchange. Its not an ordinary plug and contains a processor which may have gone bad.

The issue is resolved!

As I'm from europe, I was unable to contact apple as its 12am, a friend linked me to Apple USA's webchat, which technically isnt obliged to help me, yet still they did.

The apple support technician made me hardreset my phone by holding home and sleep / wake button till silver apple logo showed up (this doesnt delete any files, but basically hard-reboots the phone) and behold, it worked fine again on all devices!

Perhaps this is a nice future reference for people, so perhaps the mods could change the title to fit the issue / solution?

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
The issue is resolved!

As I'm from europe, I was unable to contact apple as its 12am, a friend linked me to Apple USA's webchat, which technically isnt obliged to help me, yet still they did.

The apple support technician made me hardreset my phone by holding home and sleep / wake button till silver apple logo showed up (this doesnt delete any files, but basically hard-reboots the phone) and behold, it worked fine again on all devices!

Perhaps this is a nice future reference for people, so perhaps the mods could change the title to fit the issue / solution?

I was about to recommend this very suggestion. When I got my iPhone 5 I thought it and the lightning cable were woefully incompatible with my stereo deck USB control in my car, but one hard reset later and I was relieved to find it worked the same way as my iPhone 4S did with a 30 pin cable. Funny how rarely we hard reset our phones to the point we forget to try it as a troubleshooting option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.