Lightning connector.. fragile/not as secure?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jreuschl, Sep 12, 2012.

1. jreuschl macrumors 6502

I wonder how well this new connector will stay in place when you want it. For example, if you have it plugged into a car stereo, it doesn't look like it has a lock clip. Anyone else feel this way?

It looks like a dock connector > adapter > lightning connector would be too much bulk/pressure for that small plug.

2. Dark Goob macrumors regular

Dark Goob

I totally agree- I use iphone for live music performance with a Yamaha MIDI adapter that clips into the dock connector. Even that MIDI adapter does not use the dock's clips (Yamaha left it out of their design), and I have often had it pop out in performance. So I have to use a rubber band to keep it in place.

I am having nightmares about that tiny Lightning connector, stacked with the annoyingly thick Apple dock -> Lightning adapter (which also does not clip into place), then further stacked with my thick MIDI adapter. It just seems completely non-feasible.

Apple come on. You just rendered obsolete a whole ton of existing accessories, all in the name of "thinnest" (which at this point is ridiculous because the damn thing was already thin enough by far). Your users would much rather that you not break compatibility with all these existing peripherals.

What good is this tiny connector that can't even clip into place?!

3. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]
    THINNESS!!!

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The plug itself should not have to be secure enough to support the device in an accessory. The accessory should provide the support needed.

5. Dark Goob macrumors regular

Dark Goob

Yeah, with a phone that thin, each accessory could be its own case. It'd be cool if Apple made the iPhone have little holes in the side for phone-wide accessories to clip in place.

There are so many hardware designers that make devices for the iPhone to go in, it would be nice to have a better way to secure things.