Lightning connector stability?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Sep 18, 2012.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Anyone else think the new connector might suffer from physical instability? Say what you want about the current dock connector, but I don't think anyone can fault it for being flimsy.

Every dock, plug adapter, speaker, charger, etc I've owned for every iPhone and several iPods over the years have had a pretty solid connection via the 9 pin connector.

I don't see how that will be this case with this little skinny plug. When I dock my iPhone at night, (in a 3rd party dual dock charger shared with my wife's phone, which comes with spacers for different sized phones...my phone has a case) part of what keeps it from falling over is the connector itself. The width of the connection is essentially half the width of the entire phone. This keeps the phone from twisting laterally. This also goes for other plugs and accessories I've used...the connector itself stabilizes the phone.

And what about those gooseneck phone holders people have in their cars? Are the newer Lightining ready versions going to hold the phone properly? Are companies going to have to add a platform to support the phone now? How will that work with a variety of cases?

Aside from the annoyance of having to ditch and repurchase a bunch of cables, docks, and accessories, I'm not convinced the Lightining connector is a good idea.

Sorry to go off topic (iPhone tracking)!

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I think that Apple is moving away from "docking station" type connectors, and going more towards, "lay on the table" connectors instead, kind of like Android devices have been doing. As for car mounts, more than likely the mounting setup will be separate from the charging setup.

I wouldn't trust that lightning connector to hold my phone or iPod touch up at all. I am not a fan of this lightning connector, but what can you do, It'll probably grow on me.

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

I also wonder how many more drop repairs Apple will be seeing due to the new design, assuming it has no magnetic properties or locking mechanism. I can't begin to count the number if times the old push button connector saved my device from hitting the deck when the cord got tripped over or accidently yanked. Even the current smaller connector is a tight enough fit that it sort of locks in.

I feel bad for accessory makers if Apple is in fact moving away from docking type connections. Entire companies have made their fortune from the 9 pin connection.

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I really have no idea what some people are seeing.
    The old connector is sheet metal wrapped around plastic.
    Some of the thinnest sheet metal ever.
    Yes, it's held up pretty well but strong or sturdy, it ain't.

The new connector is a machined piece of metal embedded in a plastic body.
    And from the video shown during the keynote, it looks like the plastic connector gets partially inserted into the phone so rather than putting all of the stress on the metal/plastic junction of the connector, you've got a nice snug friction fit between the plastic connector and the phone socket.

Maybe I'm wrong but to me the new one looks much stronger.

5. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

This is one of those things were going to all talk about for the first few weeks, then slowly realize we like it better, and then forget there ever was a 30 pin connector -- or at least I am trying to convince myself of this.

I have a plug for my phone in almost every room of my home...you just never know when your going to have to charge up...and this is going to be an expensive transition just becasue the connector had to change.

Oh well...here is to the future...maybe its going to be better than any of us could ever expect.

6. v7da1 macrumors member

So true!

That cord is an insurance in itself. my phone was born and kept naked its whole life. but yeah that cord saved her many time!
    hopefully the new cord is as strong

7. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I think the new connector is due. Being digital, in the end, was the way to go. The old clunky 30 pin cable served well but it is time to move on. I am pretty sure that Apple would have done it's homework here and this conversation will end in the coming months.

Yes, it will be a burden on the accessory makers but things change and this one was overdue.