Lightning Cord

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
Did apple make the cord specifically a weird certain way so companies wouldnt know how to remake it the correct ways???:eek:

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Did apple make the cord specifically a weird certain way so companies wouldnt know how to remake it the correct ways???:eek:
They put a chip in the cable to allow the cable to do a multitude of things, and be more flexible. Although no doubt it will make clones harder, I doubt it was a major design goal.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Apple does things that make sense from an engineering standpoint. The adaptive cable takes up less space in the phone, allows the cable to be plugged in from both orientations - responding to a common complaint - and maintains nearly the same functionality as the 30 pin behemoth.

No, they did not change the cable to thwart third party cable makers.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Good news is that they are shipping them. I ordered two more from Apple a few days ago and they shipped today.

needfx

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Apple does things that make sense from an engineering standpoint. The adaptive cable takes up less space in the phone, allows the cable to be plugged in from both orientations - responding to a common complaint - and maintains nearly the same functionality as the 30 pin behemoth.

No, they did not change the cable to thwart third party cable makers.
I suppose it served both purposes

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
No, they didn't. They made a compact bi-directional plug. It's more complicated than the old plug but making knock-offs more difficult wasn't a design decision I would imagine.