Lightning is so much better than micro/mini USB - why are ppl complaining?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlvinNguyen, Sep 24, 2012.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

A lot of people are mad about the change to lightning but I've been loving it - quite frankly the old 30 pin is quite old, ugly, and large. We needed to go smaller but I never wanted apple to go with micro or mini USB because I've seen (and broke) quite a few micro usb plugs on phones and speakers, drives, etc.

I don't know why people hate it so much when obviously within months it's going to be available everywhere including cheap ebay venders for a few bucks.

It's:

-Light
    -Small
    -Very secure when plugged into phone
    -Reversible - this is one of my favorite thing - I hate having to look and see which way I'm plugging the cable in to charge my phone.

Is there a real reason why so many people including tech site are so mad over this?

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Would you want to spend $30 on an adapter for every accessory you've purchased before the 5? Didn't think so ;)

I personally am happy they made the switch, but can easily understand why people don't like it when their accessories are invalidated with a new release.

3. korbui macrumors newbie

Simple i think. It has to do with the fact tha micro usb has been accepted my most if not all other manufacturers as the industry standard. This is just apples way to control and sell more exclusivly i think. Lightning really dosn't offer anything more than microusb... At least thats what i read...

4. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

its purely for the fact that with so many of us having docks, interfaces etc, we now have to go out and buy adaptors which aren't cheap @ £25

so in order to use my phone with my stereo, ihome device and car interface, I need to spend an additional £75

5. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

I agree. Long overdue. If anything, Apple should have changed the connector years ago before people stock piled so many accessories. But change was def needed. 7 years with the 30 pin was a long time.

6. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Its not just this but the iP5 doesn't dock snuggly with an adaptor on. Something has to give I suppose and as I understand it, there was just no space available for a 30-pin inside the unit.

7. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I never had any 30 Pin accessories so I'm not bothered about the change. For me it's all bonus, smaller, easier to plug in and disconnect, reversible.

There is a lot to love about the connector for me. I will admit the fact it lost some functionality is not good but I never used analogue video out on my iPhone 4S or earlier phones so it's no skin off my nose.

8. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Peoples want "Lightning to USB cable for $5, Lightning to 30-pin adapter for $8, Lightning to 30-pin cable for $9" and Apple to include a lightning to 30-pin adapter in an iPhone 5 box for free.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

After so many years with the 30pin, seeing lightening still seems odd to me.

10. spiralynth macrumors regular

I've got no problem with it.

Plus, adapters bring in more revenue = AAPL goes up.

11. Surrylic macrumors regular

I am with you OP. I was happy about it too, but I realize that's because I don't have any docks or anything I use consistently. My car just uses a USB port, I have 100x as much music on my old iPod (and iPod touch) so that's what I'll use on my Bose dock, and I don't plug my phone into my alarm clock at home anymore so it won't affect me. Because I won't have to buy adapters everything about this is better :) I do have to buy an extra cable though, just one is not enough for house and car use.

12. tekno macrumors 6502a

Just to be clear, why is it so much better than Micro USB? The only point you make that doesn't apply to both is the fact it's reversible.

13. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

The micro and mini USB is very flimsy. I broke at least 2 phone charging port and everything else is super fragile compared to the lightning plug. That plus the reversible is a pretty darn sweet and makes it better than micro/mini USB in my mind.

----------

I don't have any accessory that I need to buy an adapter for ;) and in a couple months you'll find adapters for a few bucks.

Oh and the dock is dead ;) enjoying my jambox and soundlink. It's the way of the future. I never understood the idea of docking a phone anyways - you need to be able to access it. And if its a dock for iPods then yes that make sense and in which case I'm sure you still have the iPod you bought the dock for.

----------

Exactly!!! You're situation is similar to mine. I just got an extra cable but that's all I needed and it was only for convenience.

14. sineplex macrumors 6502

oh yes it does actually. There are many posts here about it.

15. KittiFatale macrumors member

KittiFatale

16. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

I personally feel its a really good cable! and a great upgrade!

I can however see that people are going to be annoyed! All those billions of docks out there that you need to buy a silly connector for!

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Adjustment pains are to be expected. I don't see this being a factor after a couple of months and people get adjusted and transitioned over.

18. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

It was time for a change. The 30 pin connector served well but is somewhat limited. Digital is the way to go for the future. It is really a non issue except for those who just have to complain:eek:

19. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The biggest problem IMO is that the adaptors aren't on sale yet.

20. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

they are..... they have just sold out! But yeah, they should have made millions!

21. jimmyjoy macrumors member

I'm pretty sure Lightning to Thunderbolt will be available soon and could possibly offer much higher speeds than USB or the old 30pin connector could. I have 2 home docks with 30 pin connectors and yes it's a bit crap now my phone doesn't fit on them (luckily one is airplay) but the lightning connector is still a welcome upgrade for me.

22. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't get why people think this.

The transfer speeds offered by iPhone (and iPod) devices is far below what USB2 is capable of.

The limitation is the device and the storage medium in the device, not the cable.

Besides, USB3 makes more sense - it would be the least disruptive change and would be a more realistic speed target.

23. -Leigh- macrumors member

I took some photos on my phone today on a site visit for work.

Returned to the office, and realised there wasn't a compatible lead in the whole office to download the photos to my work PC.

We couldn't find one anywhere in the city. So the photos were stuck on my phone until I got home and used the cable supplied in the box.

We also have about 200 mini usb cables in the office. Because everything (apart from Apple) uses them.

I think it's arrogance on Apple's part to be honest. There is no advantage of this lightning thing over a standard usb cable. Well, there is an advantage for Apple - $$$!!!

24. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Could've used Dropbox

25. sb22 macrumors 6502

sb22

I cannot tell you how many original leads I have gone through because the connection has gone wonky/loose connection. i hoping the lightening cable is less likely to do that!