Lightning to Dock adapters - USB audio now supported?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicky G, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Nicky G macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

I swear that these adapters had a caveat in their descriptions that said "iPod mode not supported" a few days ago. This seemed to imply that car audio systems that allow you to navigate through and control your device through the car's head unit would not work. However, the description now lacks that statement, and includes USB audio as being supported.

Does this mean it actually now will work with car audio systems? To clarify, I am not talking about car audio that just pulls the line level analog out of the dock connector.

Did anybody else notice this change?

2. bova80 macrumors 6502a

ipod mode is different, that lets the device you are docked into control the phone.

3. Nicky G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

What is USB audio then? And why was the note about iPod mode not being supported removed from the descriptions?

4. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

It used to say that "iPod out" wasn't supported. Everyone took that to mean that no iPod controls could be used, which wasn't correct. Unless you have a 2011 or newer BMW or Mini that uses "iPod out", then your car controls will work.

5. Nicky G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

My 2012 VW GTI let's me navigate through everything using the touch screen that's built into my head unit. That should all work you're saying, using the adapter? If so, sweet!

6. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it should. Does your VW have a USB port? My Honda Fit does, and I'm currently just using the lightning to USB cable with it and it works flawlessly when choosing songs from the navi screen.

7. Nicky G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

No, not a USB port -- it has an actual Dock Connector built into the center arm rest.