Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chloros

Suspended
Original poster
May 4, 2016
Not looking for annual salaries...won the lotto....elitist....just good compelling reasons why you dropped the cash.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I didn’t have the 10.5”...but I was about to buy it when the new ones were announced. I will definitely be getting the 11” now even tho it’s more expensive. And if I had to say why, it wouldn’t be for the new design with slimmer bezels(as cool as it looks)...no, it’d be for the new pencil. Seriously. The way it magnetizes to the side & charges wirelessly totally sold me. I am such a klutz, that I know i’d Break the first gen pencil while trying to charge it. I know it.

Having said that, if I had already bought the 10.5”, I probably wouldn’t upgrade. I’d probably wait another year. Unless I snapped off my Apple Pencil in the lightning port...which I probably would have by now. Lol.

Chloros

Suspended
Original poster
May 4, 2016
I justify it by giving my 10.5 to my daughter-in-law. I gave my original pro to my son, she had the IPad Air from before that, it is her turn. I like to play with new tech, and my family benefits from my upgrades.
I guess i could use my kids as an excuse. There is really no tech advantage unless you think thin bezels is tech. There isn't anything slow on my 10.5....cant imagine the new proc will make my netflix stream faster. Face id?....using my thumb to unlock was never an issue. Kids it is!

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I honestly love FaceID and the lack of bezels. I typically use my iPad as a pure content device for email, Safari, music, movies.

I don’t notice the faster chip at all, but love the look and feel of the device.

I didn’t want FaceID at first, but I love it now. Makes everything so much easier. I just wish the screen was a higher resolution. I sometimes hold the device a little closer than normal and can def see the pixels.

MsDeb

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
I guess i could use my kids as an excuse. There is really no tech advantage unless you think thin bezels is tech. There isn't anything slow on my 10.5....cant imagine the new proc will make my netflix stream faster. Face id?....using my thumb to unlock was never an issue. Kids it is!
Glad to help!

Neuron1

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
I doubt anyone will present a compelling reason for needing to upgrade from the 10.5 to the 11 (unless you need more memory or cellular). But, if it’s not too much of a stretch and/or you have someone else who wants/needs your 10.5, then that might be a an additional incentive. I have both and love the 11. It’s got lots of little upgrades that add up to an improved experience all around (screen size, form factor, Smart Cover and keyboard, very snappy performance, etc.). That being said, the 10.5 is awfully similar in every way that really matters.

gazzy644

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
Not looking for annual salaries...won the lotto....elitist....just good compelling reasons why you dropped the cash.
Went from 10.5 to a new 12.9, so far so good. But honestly I take a lot of notes so the new Apple Pencil was enough justification for me.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Really no compelling reason for me either, but really wanted Face ID and also the slimmer bazels. Besides that, I don't think there is much difference. I also like the new keyboard better than the one with the 10.5. Going to get the pencil tomorrow to test out too.

When I look at my 10.5, which I just gave to my Mom, it looks somewhat old, now that I am used to the new iPad 11 look and also used to Face ID, which is outstanding! :)

Maukey

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Can I be honest? Everyone will probably hate me for this. My 10.5 had that small white spot on the screen that everyone talked about. Wasn't a big deal for me as it's at the very bottom of the screen and is difficult to notice if you're not looking for it. I was going to take it to the Apple store and get it fixed, but when the new iPads were announced, I decided to sell it and upgrade to the 11 :). I sold it on OfferUp. The buyer didn't notice when examining ;). Hey...don't judge me! I threw in an Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard for a very good deal! :D

Reactions: Donka

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I find Face ID even better on the iPad than the iPhone, especially when using the keyboard, just double tap the keyboard and you're in. Like others, I actually upgraded to pass down my 10.5 to my kids, so had an "excuse" but would have created an excuse either way. New design is really nice as well. Think it is overall just better, but is it worth upgrading, depends on the user.

Infiniteconstancy

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2017
Went from an iPad 2 to this. Got the 1TB.

Why? Because I wanted to. And have the money.
[doublepost=1541826593][/doublepost]
Just got mine today and 2 hours of use in ... FaceID is a deffo improvement and it seems a bit snappier overall.

Feels better in hand - I am likely to use it nude and then keep it in a felt cover, as they don’t seem to have a front Smart Cover.

I use this one, which is lovely - https://crazyhorsecraft.com/products/leather-macbook-ipad-case-classic-orange
This is great. Do they have it for the new 12.9

w_rigdon

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
Louisiana
Swapped my 10.5 two times for a bright spot on the screen. Saw the spot starting to show up on the third one and was tired of the way the pencil charged. Apple took my WiFi 256 and gave me a 325 credit on trade in.

Avocco

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2018

I bought the 11 inch to replace my 10.5 based on the reviews and the bigger screen size. However I have decided to return it and keep my 10.5 for the following reasons.

It feels uncomfortable to hold and type on without a Smart Keyboard. The new design which did away with the curved edges has made it slightly more uncomfortable to hold. For those of us who remember switching from the iPhone 3/3gs to the iPhone 4 will understand.

The screen is dimmer than my old 10.5 when on the same auto brightness. Not a major issue but certain videos still pop a little more on the iPad 10.5

Face ID when holding the iPad naturally gets covered up for me. I have to move my hand and it just irritates me. For the price I don’t see why they didn’t place another one for when in use in landscape mode.

Performance. All the games that ran slightly sluggish on my iPad 10.5 still do the same on here. Life is Strange is an example. They need to be optimised not the hardwares fault.

The biggest reason by far. The apps that are not updated to support the full screen. I’ve had to deal with this issue in the past when we switched from the iPhone 4 to the 5 and then again through the following phones. On the iPhone X when I got it on launch day I justified it because the overall phone made the waiting worthwhile. But even then it took almost 9 months before all the apps supported the new format, this includes google inbox and gmail. On this iPad I can’t justify waiting for all the apps to get updated and use them in a limited fashion.

If you are seriously looking to update from the 10.5 to the 11 I would advise you to wait just a little bit for everything to get optimised and then purchase it. This is my own personal opinion. I will be buying this again in a few months when all the apps are optimised. This will also allow give me the option to buy a used one if I want.

My iPad 10.5 256gb only cost me £400 and it has AppleCare till August 2019. I bought it 6 months ago used. I will look for a similar good deal on this in a few months.

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2011
The 10.5 is fine. However, the new design does feel refined now - if you value that kind of aesthetic (I do).

However, the whole design with 11" slimmer bezels and new apple pencil did it for me. Im not an artist or anything but I use the pencil for notes and a general pointer to navigate the device - prefer it to finger. The Apple Pencil is a significant design improvement. And 11" screen will be optimised over time but if your a web browser or book reader its already better in safari and all apple apps etc.

Yes, you can make a case whether its big deal - thats a personal thing only. Its nice to have the whole screen be utilised.

One other reason is that with apple changing the design this year its probably unlikely they will change this design next year and possibly the year after (maybe just 1-2 subtle new features?). So by buying now you are kinda coming into line with this next design phase - so in 2-3 years you will have got a decent amount of usage out of this 11" iPad and can hop onto the next major iPad iteration.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Interesting on how your 11 screen was dimmer than the 10.5. Ours was the opposite, although 11 was not that much brighter, even my parents said the 11 was brighter than the 10.5. Face ID on the iPad is awesome. I can see why your hand may get in the way but once you get used to it, there is no comparison to TouchID, Face ID is just so much better.... :)

I bought the 11 inch to replace my 10.5 based on the reviews and the bigger screen size. However I have decided to return it and keep my 10.5 for the following reasons.

It feels uncomfortable to hold and type on without a Smart Keyboard. The new design which did away with the curved edges has made it slightly more uncomfortable to hold. For those of us who remember switching from the iPhone 3/3gs to the iPhone 4 will understand.

The screen is dimmer than my old 10.5 when on the same auto brightness. Not a major issue but certain videos still pop a little more on the iPad 10.5

Face ID when holding the iPad naturally gets covered up for me. I have to move my hand and it just irritates me. For the price I don’t see why they didn’t place another one for when in use in landscape mode.

Performance. All the games that ran slightly sluggish on my iPad 10.5 still do the same on here. Life is Strange is an example. They need to be optimised not the hardwares fault.

The biggest reason by far. The apps that are not updated to support the full screen. I’ve had to deal with this issue in the past when we switched from the iPhone 4 to the 5 and then again through the following phones. On the iPhone X when I got it on launch day I justified it because the overall phone made the waiting worthwhile. But even then it took almost 9 months before all the apps supported the new format, this includes google inbox and gmail. On this iPad I can’t justify waiting for all the apps to get updated and use them in a limited fashion.

If you are seriously looking to update from the 10.5 to the 11 I would advise you to wait just a little bit for everything to get optimised and then purchase it. This is my own personal opinion. I will be buying this again in a few months when all the apps are optimised. This will also allow give me the option to buy a used one if I want.

My iPad 10.5 256gb only cost me £400 and it has AppleCare till August 2019. I bought it 6 months ago used. I will look for a similar good deal on this in a few months.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
10.5” was a GREAT iPad, but I felt both of the new third gen models represented a new era as far as form factor and UI. The deletion of bezels and the home button, the turbo charging of internals, the increase in screen size, etc. all tell me that they’re getting the iPad Pro ready for some big OS changes in the coming months/years. I think these new models are best positioned for those changes.

For the record, I don’t think they’re all going to come in iOS 13, but some of them will definitely be there.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Face ID. Total pain having to manually enter passwords for apps/websites etc. TouchID stopped working due to fingertip rash.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Interesting on how your 11 screen was dimmer than the 10.5. Ours was the opposite, although 11 was not that much brighter, even my parents said the 11 was brighter than the 10.5. Face ID on the iPad is awesome. I can see why your hand may get in the way but once you get used to it, there is no comparison to TouchID, Face ID is just so much better.... :)

I found the screen dimmer but due to auto brightness being more aggressive. I could turn it off but don’t really want to.

All in all though the experience doesn’t change much. iOS is still iOS. Apps aren’t speedier. Screen quality may actually be worse or at best the same. It’s simply not worthwhile to upgrade or pay the difference imo unless your going 12.9.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London

Remember that Macrumours is a bubble of people who own 3-4 Apple Products and upgrade frequently.

Some will upgrade from one year to another regardless of whether there are compelling reasons or not. :)

Reactions: joeblow7777

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I found the screen dimmer but due to auto brightness being more aggressive. I could turn it off but don’t really want to.

All in all though the experience doesn’t change much. iOS is still iOS. Apps aren’t speedier. Screen quality may actually be worse or at best the same. It’s simply not worthwhile to upgrade or pay the difference imo unless your going 12.9.

Interesting. I wonder if you received a defective one, as my 11 is definitely brighter. Also - the new iPad is faster, especially internet on LTE, but has the potential to be a lot more faster as iOS and apps take advantage of it. Worthwhile upgrade for me, but I have upgraded every year, except one. Definitely like the new Keyboard better too. Like I said to once you get used to looking at the new iPad, the old iPad looks like a relic now too. I can see how others could disagee though. FaceID alone is worth the upgrade to me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.