Likelihood of summer iphone release

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by makowb, Mar 22, 2012.

1. makowb macrumors member

My gf wants an iPhone now, but she's willing to wait if one is on the horizon this summer. I know they broke away from the summer release cycle last year, but that could've been due to a number of things that held it up.

Apple has had the same iPad, iPhone, and iPod launch schedule for years (save for last years hiccup). Is a summer launch likely?

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Doubt it. At this point I'd say there is at best a 25% chance of June/July launch. As summer approaches we'll have a slightly better idea, based on rumors (or lack of rumors as it may be).

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

How long is a piece of string.

Perhaps you could e mail Tim Cook to ask for an insight.
    I hear he's been prone to replying a bit like the late Steve Jobs occasionally did.

If he does tell you please let us all in it who are also awaiting the release of the next iPhone

:rolleyes:

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

4' 6.32" (on average)

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

As has been the pattern in the past, Apple generally announces the next iOS update in a beta form and roughly 3-4 months later (after all the beta testing is completed) they Announce a new phone.

iOS 5 was announced last year during WWDC in June and 4 months later in October we got the iPhone 4S.

So for their to be a summer release (June) Apple will have to announce iOS 6 "preview" now or some time very soon. In 2010 Apple help an event on April 8th to show off iOS 4, and in 2009 Apple had its event to preview iOS 3 on March 17th.

If the media doesn't get an invite for a software event in the next few weeks, don't count on a summer release of the next iPhone.

6. iClive macrumors regular

7. andyx3x macrumors 65816

8. bushman4 macrumors 68000

As long as Apple is selling 4S phones at a decent pace the iPhone 5 will be out like last year. Right now Apple is selling iPhones in China at a rapid pace to put it mildly . So it looks more like a Sept-Oct release.

9. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Zero chance. The extended wait for the 4S was a deliberate product transition so they have the iPhone release in October.

March - iPad
    Summer - WWDC and iOS annoucements
    October - iPhone

See, all nicely spaced out!

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

In addition, this means that the iPhone occupies the important Christmas Zone of the year. The iPods used to be released in Sept/Oct and made all the little children happy in December. But the iPod isn't the king of the world anymore.

So Apple went to a lot of trouble to slide their very popular phone into that spot. There's no way the iPhone is leaving October unless they decide to swap it out with the iPad. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

11. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I would say the iPhone will be updated in September or October, along with the iPod's at the same time.

I say it will be that late because Apple will want to get the iPod's and iPhone out in time to be Christmas presents. Also I am predicting this year Apple will introduce brand new MacBook Pro designs, refreshed Airs, totally new Mac Pro's and possibly totally new iMacs too.

And that's a huge launch schedule, but the biggest will be the iPhone as far as sales go so Apple will also want it left with a few months to itself as the demand will no doubt be crazy at launch.

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Agree, it'll be the big " must have " Christmas product....I need time to save up...iPad 3 ATV 3 etc. etc....New cases and all the rest have left my CC's smoking...:)

13. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Chances are slim that it will release in the Summer. Those who purchased the iPhone 4S at the launch last year is likely to be locked into their contract and won't be able to buy one in the summer unless they fish out more money.

So it is likely to be released in October.

14. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I think a fall release is part of Apple's new strategy. This way the holiday quarter will be huge for the company and there won't be that many rumors about the next iPhone yet so people won't be "waiting for the next out to be out in 6 months".

It could also be for competitive purposes as BB10 and the next Nexus device will likely roll out around that time.

15. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm sad. I always imagine summer as going on holiday, nice weather, a break from normal life, and a new iPhone :D

Unfortunately it now looks like it's moving to Autumn - which makes the iPhone seem much more drab.