Likely resale value of new base 11,2 15" rMBP model in 1.5-3 years?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zorgoth, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Zorgoth macrumors newbie

I'm a graduate student in math and my laptop recently broke and I'm getting a replacement using department funds. I'm trying to determine the likely resale value in order to make the best call. Right now I'm deciding between an up-configured Thinkpad L ($1270 w/warranty) and a base 11,2 Macbook Pro (the current $2,000 model).

A major part of the Macbook Pro's value is its value retention. Either the Macbook or the Thinkpad is a computer that can be expected to last at least 5 years with proper care, but the Thinkpad will not have a high resale value - the Thinkpad would probably be kept as a loaner computer by the department, whereas the Macbook would most likely be sold and part of the proceeds used for a new loaner.

What do you think the resale value of the Mac will be in 20 months with 16 months of remaining warranty coverage? Or in three years with no remaining warranty coverage?

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

While it is always difficult to predict, you can look at earlier models to give you an idea.

Hence: Look at sold Early 2013 and Late 2013 base models on eBay. That will give you an idea. IIRC, they are going for $1300-1500 or so.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Considering you're using it for a business you should figure a 3 year depreciation schedule to zero value.

But that said at the end of the 3 years the MBP will have some value, the Thinkpad none.