Likely Scam

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Balaamsdonkey, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

:mad:
    I bought an iPhone 5 from Verizon a couple of weeks ago. I got a phone call today, the day it shipped, from a blocked number indicating they had been shipped my phone. Somehow the (number was blocked)y got my phone number (I was pissed and a little scared so I didn't get as much information from them as I should have) and wanted more information so they could activate it and sell it.

Obviously I gave them nothing, and because of my aforementioned state of mind I hung up on them. I am currently an at&t customer and have no Verizon phone number nor password so Verizon CS on the phone couldn't help me. I'm heading to the Verizon store after work today to talk to them about it. Has anyone heard of a Scam like this? Should I be checking my credit now and doing other things to ensure I have not had my identity stolen?

Thanks!

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

My guess is that the scam is to make you think that they know more about you than they do, so that you will give them the info they need. If they had stolen your identity, then wouldn't they just buy an iPhone for themselves using your credit?

And why would someone call you, tell you they had your phone, and expect you to help them sell it? Makes no sense to me.

3. Balaamsdonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

That is what my wife thought. The timing is what scares me. What are the chances that if this person was calling random numbers that he would get a hit with someone? I should have got more information from them; I feel stupid about that. I'm concerned that somehow between myself and Verizon, or somewhere in Verizon's internals, that some of my information was leaked.

4. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

Sorry but not fully understanding what you are saying. So, you still haven't gotten your phone yet? So a blocked number called you and said they shipped your phone and asked you a bunch of personal questions?
    Also, if you're an AT&T customer, why'd you buy your phone at Verizon?

5. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

The timing is concerning, but a lot of those scam emails are sent out scattershot, knowing that if you send out enough, you're bound to hit a few people who the email applies to. I just wonder if that's the case here. Hard to say.