Likelyhood of a 4870 with dual display ports?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VirtualRain, Mar 19, 2009.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Hi based on Apple's track record and that of the major graphics card companies, what's the likelihood of a 4870 being released with dual display ports? If so, any idea of timeline... this year? Next year? (I know, this is likely impossible to guess)

I'm guessing if they ever refresh the rest of the monitor line (isn't that overdue now?), the new models will likely have display port connectors as well, putting more pressure on Apple to release a graphics card for the MP with dual display ports?

I would really like to run dual 24" LED ACD's but don't like the inelegant soluton of having dual graphics cards to do this, especially when they both have dual ports where one of which would be completely wasted on each card. I also don't think I can even factory order an ATI and Nvidia card in a mac pro... even if I wanted to... correct?

2. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I hope they never do. As long Apple is pushing their horrible glossy displays.
    I need to have the option for DVI. So I can buy a display that works for me.

3. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

You can always convert display port to DVI but not vice-versa. BTW, just control the lighting in your environment... you can't beat the LED back lighting. Anti-gloss coatings also add a mask over the screen that I simply can't stand. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nothing will change until the next Mac Pro, so... the next Mac Pro will have dual Mini DisplayPort out.

5. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

So Apple has no track record of providing new graphics card models out of sync with Mac Pro releases?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Absolutely not. These are the two cards we get until the middle of next year.

7. shinchan72 macrumors member

?

Yes it can happen , not necessarily straight from Apple but the Radeon 3870 for Mac was made and released completely separate from anything to do with Apple releasing anything to do with a Mac Pro.