Limbaugh and Hannity shows feature paid actors, parent company admits

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chrmjenkins, Mar 6, 2011.

1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

2. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

What's really sad about this is that it seems like part of human nature is to always look around us for cues, validation, and acceptance. The whole "mob mentality" scenario is based on an escalating level of tolerance because "the other guy doing it makes it okay."

So here you have paid actors calling in (used, I assume, so that they can be sensationalist, audience-grabbing caricatures) with the audience totally unaware that it's a sham. So now you have these notions planted by the actors, giving credence to ideas that might, at worst case, be benign and latent seeds in the listeners.

This is not to say that there aren't extremist crackpots that listen to these shows - but most listeners aren't extremists, are they? Yet if they hear these actors spreading their viral payload often enough, it starts to become "real enough." And it's authenticated by its repeated use on the show and the way the hosts corroborate it as "real."

It's just sad. :rolleyes:

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There are shills such as paid forum posters too, even on some political blogs and sites. What a wretched way to turn a buck.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Not particularly surprising. It's hard to push an agenda in a Q & A format unless you control both the Q's and the A's.

Money talks.

I will admit that I am paid a six-figure salary by the American Bacon Lobby to pepper my posts on MacRumors with morsels of pro-bacon sentiment.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think most of us know better than to trust anything we hear on "Morning Zoo" type shows. But this adds a new, thicker layer of slime to Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, and (unfortunately, by association) even Jim Rome.

Rome doesn't seem like a bad guy, and I hope he's had more sense than to get mixed up in this. As for the others, I already trusted them 0%. This just takes it down to about a -50%.

In days gone by, this is the type of thing that could cause a company to lose its broadcast license. But we're so wimpy these days, I doubt the FCC will do anything to Clear Channel/Premiere. The FCC only worries about titties during football games.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I've suspected this on Ars Technica and Engadget because it feels like the same guy always posts in the piracy stories Ars always features. It's kind of funny, actually. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft and Apple has some guy trawling the internet for Apple and Windows stories only to comment favorably or to refute something. But that's a bit different.
    Hannity strikes me as the type of person who would do this. I'm not so sure about Limbaugh hiring paid actors.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Limbaugh is a drug addict who paid his maid to pick up his drugs for him. You really think something like this is beneath such a person?

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think it bears repeating, and should be brought up every time these clowns make the headlines.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Ever thought of serving those crispy morsels of bacon with tender romaine lettuce, plump ripe tomatoes or perhaps some fresh avocado? Bought to you by the American Fruit and Vegetable Grower's Association™

Must admit I've tried to listen to Limbaugh on occasion. To a pseudo-Brit's ear accustomed to BBC radio, he sounds dangerously unhinged. Hannity, smug and cretinous, seen on YouTube being schooled by Robert Gibbs.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I wonder if Rupert Murdock has his fingers in Clear Channel? If so this might explain it.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Clear Channel is their own brand of evil. They killed local radio. Now you have the same crap everywhere you go.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

They killed my favorite alternative rock station and tried to kill my local classical station. They are truly evil.

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

And that's why I'm listening to a lot of overseas radio now. RTL 2 (France) is particularly good. About 80% of their music is in English and it's way more diverse than Clear Channel. Adverts are fewer and - since they're in French - don't distract me from work. iPhone app, too.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've had satellite radio in my last 2 cars. Haven't listened to terrestrial radio in 7 years now.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

professional wrestling is fake

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Messages from outer space? How much do your masters tell you?

18. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

The secret is to bang the rocks together, guys.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Ding! The Dittoheads won't change their opinion of Limbaugh, because each sees himself as too smart to be manipulated even while his relentless partisanship is being kneaded like a ball of play-do.

Yep, astroturfing isn't new.

20. mac2x macrumors 65816

The best classical station around is BBC Radio 3. Been listening to them via stream ever since the local station (which was once excellent) went 'classical lite' following a rather hostile takeover by new owners.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Am I the only one picturing this sang to the tune of "Wakko's World" by Wakko Warner (Animaniacs)?

:D

BL.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My local classical is a non-profit with a big endowment, so fortunately they are no longer at risk to any takeovers. But most stations aren't so lucky.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They speak to me through Charlie Sheen.

24. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

It's so painfully obvious. Everyone who calls in either agrees with Limbaugh to the death, or someone who sounds unstable.

So Limbaugh is obviously always right! :rolleyes:

25. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Some of the callers who agree with Limbaugh are far too articulate to be true.

Does Limbaugh know which callers are the actors ahead of time?