Limbaugh dares Obama: 'Debate me'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Mar 4, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This would be funny. However, I don't think Obama should lower himself to Limbaugh's level- thus giving the guy even more attention. Limbaugh is totally full of himself. What an ego.

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/03/limbaugh_dares_obama_debate_me.html

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Rush Limbaugh has never run for office, is not accountable for his views to any voter. Let him run for office for 2012, making his way victoriously through the Republican primaries to earn the right to debate on equal terms with the President of the United States.

I would have been equally dismissive of someone like Michael Moore, for instance, calling for a debate on equal terms with George W. Bush. Thankfully, the Democratic Party does not elevate media personalities to leadership roles, with calls for those opposing those personalities' views to apologise and back down as we've seen recently with Mr Steele and other Republican congressman.

Limbaugh continues to take the bait; he cannot resist this ego-stroking which places someone with approx. 11-12% national approval rating at the heart of the Republican Party's efforts to rebuild. I would wager there are quite a few Republican figures that wish he would shut up.

Meanwhile, the pushback is that this hooha is all the fault of the nasty Dems. Somehow, I don't think it was Axelrod who booked him to keynote CPAC and cover his rambling speech in its entirety on CNN.

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I absolutely agree. Who the hell does Limbaugh think he is, anyway?

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

When part of your catch phrase is "talent on loan from God", I'd say he thinks he's Jesus.

Somebody should drug test the wacko.

And Blue Velvet- I completely agree.

5. Queso macrumors G4

That would be car crash television if ever it happened. What's he going to do? Shout the truth down, then demand an apology?

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If you're so serious about this Mr. Limbaugh, why not do it in a more neutral setting? Why does it have to be on your show?

Personally I'd like to see Limbaugh go toe to toe with Jon Stewart (has this ever happened?)... that would be fun. Do a show trade like O'Reilly has done in the past.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

He'd probably just turn Obama's mike off like he disconnects callers who disagree with him. Limbaugh can't even debate his own callers.

Definitely much more appropriate. Limbaugh would get his a** handed to him.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This would be interesting and funny to watch, but it would never happen.
    It'd be like Jerry Lewis debating Dick Cheney.

I think Rush is throwing down the gauntlet only because it could never happen.

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Now that would be entertainment! Two comedians going at it.

I think I remember Stewart saying that Limbaugh has refused to go on his show.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

We should find out. I'll look it up.

EDIT- couldn't find anything.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Not sure but I don't think a convicted felon can run for President.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

What an arrogant *****. Obama just won the presidential election (engaging in debates with the GOP's chosen candidates), and somehow Limbaugh thinks that his radio show is some sort of ultimate forum for ideas? This just proves that Limbaugh thinks himself the political equal of the President.

The arrogance of that man has reached new heights.

People may or may not like his comedy show, but he is not a serious politician and the fact that the GOP has granted him untouchable status on his substantive politics (such as they are) shows that they are totally out of ideas at the moment.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And I think Rush is throwing down the gauntlet only because it gets him "ink".

Go away Rush (not to be confused with the band.)

14. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I could be remembering it wrong. It was an offhand comment during an interview with someone like O'Reilly. Stewart said that so-and-so refuses to come on his show.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ah yes, everyone the story passes through adds something of their own. :rolleyes:

We used to do a message relay drill in The Scouts. Give a whispered message (battlefield perhaps, whatever) to the first boy in a line of 10 Scouts, and each then whispers the message to the next boy.

The last guy repeats the message out loud, then the Leader reads the actual message out loud for the first time.

Very interesting results were achieved. LOL

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Sounds like the game we called "Telephone." Ok, guilty as charged.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Calm. I am no longer hard on myself. I have "people" for that. ;)

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But who aren't brave enough to say it out loud, so we have to say it for them. :p

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm surprised how many are supporting him...because by trying to do their job for them Limbaugh is inadvertently implying they are incompetent.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

"...the radio commentator says he is tired of the "odious', empty, nasty"' people..."

As we used to say in 1st grade; "It takes one to know one!", as we stuck our thumbs in our ears and wiggled our fingers upwards :)

Seriously though, the guy reminds me of a drunk loser outside a bar at closing time. Barely able to stand up, but itching to pick a fight with anyone. Absolutely anyone.

Pitiful.

22. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Step back for a moment from the fact that it would never happen and is a ridiculous request.

Now, wouldn't it at least be entertaining to see that debate happen? Rush is supposed to be the embodiment of conservative ideals, while Obama that of liberal. At least grant that it would be interesting

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The interesting thing is that Limbaugh makes many factual errors (as do many pundits) during his tirades. This is tolerated on radio/TV with talking heads to a certain extent, but in the context of a "debate" it would be fatal. Obama's approach to debate was cautious even by the standards of presidential debate, so it would be a case of Limbaugh huffing and puffing and barking over Obama. All the while making a bunch of mis-statements and repeating the same old tired rhetoric.

24. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Hard to imagine what it would be like, other than acutely embarrassing. Now, what I would find interesting is being a fly on the wall if they meet privately. Deny windbag his groundlings and he'd have to act grown up. Perhaps?

Or maybe it would be like a trip to the Principal's office?

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's just sad that there have only been a paltry handful of Republicans who are willing to stand up and say unequivocally that Limbaugh is wrong and doesn't speak for them when he says Republicans want Obama to fail. It leads the general public to believe that Rush is correct, and that the GOP *does* want Obama to fail. And polls are backing that up. I forget the numbers, but significantly more people said that GOP resistance to Obama's stimulus package was for political gain rather than out of principle.