Limit of Devices on a home network with a TC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dec., Jan 19, 2013.

1. dec. Suspended

dec.

I was wondering what number of devices connected to a time capsule would be considered as "limit". Right now we have (not always simultaneously) 1 wii, 1 xbox360, 2 win pc's, 1 Apple TV, 1 network printer, 3 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 blackberry, 2 MacBook airs, 1 MacBook Pro, 3 win laptops, 1 iMac hooked up - is there a decrease in performance to be expected?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

That's probably nearing the upper limit of bandwidth capability if they're mostly wireless. One suggestion I would make is if you are capable, run a wire out to your home theatre and plug in an unmanaged switch instead of having those devices use wireless. It'll speed things up considerably.

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Why don't you test it to find out. Disconnect everything except the two devices you consider the most critical. Transfer some big files (4x 1GB) and some small files (100x 50KB). Then repeat with as many devices as practical also connected and active.

The programme to use to test this is IOMeter (http://www.iometer.org). It runs on Win and, more usefully, can be configured to generate a 1GB test file for copying/renaming as just another file. I use this as my sample 1GB file.