Lin Gilbert & having priority in terms of medical treatment.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spaceboots06, Jul 20, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Goooood afternoon,

I can't give you an exact quote but this Canadian woman Lin Gilbert was interviewed on the news today. Everyone opposing universal healthcare rants about how people from Canada have to wait months or years for surgery but I heard something that struck me as interesting. She said that she couldn't get her surgery because there were old people waiting for the same exact surgery. I found that both odd and disturbing.

Old people? Lin looked as if she was in her late 40s. Why are old people getting priority for surgery in Canada? Lin stated that she has children to raise. I don't think that the "old people" Lin was talking about had to raise children. Shouldn't Lin have priority?

This got me thinking. Would you want your money to go to someone's surgery who doesn't really need it, or rather to someone who doesn't need it as much as someone else? Let's say an 80 year old who has cancer needs throat surgery or something another. An 80 year old with cancer isn't going to live much longer; shouldn't we be spending our funds on younger people who need the surgery too? Younger people who have children to raise and jobs to hold? If there was either a choice between already dying person A and 35 year old adult B I would surely choose adult B.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm glad that you think you are capable of deciding who gets to live...

I'd like to live in a world where if you got cancer, you got treated. That's just me though.

3. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

That's like donating money to the Asian American Cancer Studies Fund and not the African American Cancer Studies Fund. Aren't you deciding who gets to live doing this too?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You haven't quite grasped the concept of Universal Health Care, have you?

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No? There is a difference between donating money and saying that there is a direct trade-off in terms of life or death, as opposed to my $5. I gave you a free abortion argument? Why not take it and run?

6. remmy macrumors 6502a

Brilliant...

And you could apply the same to those who are in employment and those who aren't. Those being employed are obviously more valuable. Or those who earn more, because they obviously have a more important job and do more for the economy than those less important people. People could be graded on how important they are to economy and the money they generate.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well and men and women, because after all, a woman could not be president - so why spare them?

8. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Yes. I wouldn't want my hard end money to be "wasted" on people who couldn't contribute to keeping money generating. I honestly see old people as sentimental objects. Yes, they're valuable, but only to their children and grandchildren. Similarly, I wouldn't want my money to be spent on child abortions. Taxes so far go to things that most people could agree on. Being forced to pay for controversial treatments is going to be a problem because I assure you I'm not going to be the only one questioning authority.

Wrong. A woman could be president. There just hasn't been one yet. I don't understand your point either.

9. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Wow Bootsy. You're back from T/O and you brought a shovel. Convienient.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm... It's not like you aren't paying for those now? There are public hospitals that don't charge. In fact Dallas has one of the best burn units in the world in its public hospital, but, most people don't pay because it's a public hospital. You are about to enter the "your logic is the same as Hitler's" and you are def. treading the line of making that legitimate.

Enough said.

11. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I'm not here to offend but rather to share my opinions. I guess they're just considered too extreme.

thegoldenmackid, care to quote later posts/threads by me where I retract what I wrote? Guess not.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You haven't quite got a handle on "Society" either, have you? Or "Reality" for that matter...

13. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Yeah, but frankly, its like you type these threads up with a spring loaded trap under your butt, waiting for the 1st person to disagree with you so you can detonate. Its a little trollish. However, you are entitled to your opinion, 110%, but it seems like you start threads in the PRSI just to start arguements, and thats not what its about.

2 pennies.

14. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

So with this thought why let old people get old? Lets start up euthanasia. We can let them die with dignity:rolleyes: Euthanasia soon turns into genocide...and then we are soon starting the atrocities of WW2 all over again.

Its quite amazing to see how people put so little value on others lives. Everyone has the right to life. We should provide them with whatever they need to keep that life going, no matter the cost. Everyone is special and deserves to live no matter their age.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You never retracted it...Hence, it is still there... You later said that women have fought hard to be equal, that doesn't change the "only a man should be president." Nor did you respond to my actual post.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If we are going to cover everyone under a universal care plan I better be getting tax breaks for not smoking and having a gym membership.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why? You could break your leg in the gym, you could accidentally inhale a large insect while keeping fit by cycling. Your tax-break will come from the increased efficiency of a universal system and no risk of bankruptcy if your insurer gets cold feet.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This thread is as good as the opposition to universal health care gets.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Insurance companies do it already. Its calculated risk, why should I have to pay into taxes as much as someone else who doesn't take care of themselves when I am less likely to need a hospital?

20. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Lung Cancer and heart attacks arent the only serious conditions that require medical attention.

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Why do I have to pay taxes for the fire department when they never come to my house?

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

* Heart disease: 631,636
    * Cancer: 559,888
    * Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 137,119
    * Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 124,583
    * Accidents (unintentional injuries): 121,599
    * Diabetes: 72,449
    * Alzheimer's disease: 72,432
    * Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,326
    * Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 45,344
    * Septicemia: 34,234

They are risk factors that should be taken into consideration though as they top the charts.

I have no family history for any of these diseases, and my great grandmother is 100 years old now. Why again should I pay the same as someone who is sucking down reeses milkshakes and puffing away at a cancer stick even though we know they cause cancer?

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Why do I pay for the library. And you pay right now anyway, there are things called public hospitals.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Does your neighborhood regularly practice arson? I would be pissed about paying more taxes if I was one of the few who didn't.

25. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm not sure about the whole arson thing... But it's taxes, no one said yours have gone up. I'm paying for a War in Iraq, and I definitely did not sign up to pay for it.