Lincoln University BMI Graduation Requirement

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by abijnk, Nov 24, 2009.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Link

Interesting. Personally, I think this goes way too far. I think having a physical education class as a requirement for graduation is a good idea, but I don't think making only the fat kids take it is the way to go.

Thoughts?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Given the fact that:
    a) College students tend to put on the pounds during their 4 years thanks to the delicious diet of pizza and beer
    b) They probably charge per credit hour, meaning a PE class will cost a student the same tuition as a "real" class such as chemistry or math class
    c) PE is probably a lot cheaper to teach than a "real" class

It sounds to me like the university is just trying to milk their students for more money before they graduate.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Tell 'em ta f**k orf.

Getting a degree is about academic, not physical, performance.

What a joke.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

either make everyone take a pe class or noone as far as requirements needed to graduate

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If they offered the course for free I would be all about this, since they are most likely charging I would tell them to **** off and transfer to a better college.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Surely this policy would put international students at an unfair advantage.

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I never heard of this school. Is this a joke or diploma mill?

If they are regionally accredited in the US, they can probably expect to lose that designation.

UPDATE: I looked through Wikipedia, the London Times, and Lincoln University's site and no links to being regionally accredited. This is the only thing that makes any American College or University have academic credibility. If they are indeed accredited regionally, they should put it front and center on their site like all other schools. There are tons of other designations such as from the US Department of Education, the Better Business Bureau, various state education approvals and licenses, the AASCB, various political and social organizations, but being regionally accredited such as WASC out here in California or Middle States in New York is the only true yardstick that counts for entrance into most graduate schools besides grades and grad school entrance exams.

Who is going to add their official stamp of approval to Lincoln, the FDA and Richard Simmons? ;)

10. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I think that is a load of horse crap. If you wanna be fat, then be fat. If you wanna be healthy, then do it. Has nothing to do with your academic career in college.
    Efff that.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Has quite a bit to do with your success thereafter though.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm a big guy, perhaps what you would consider "fat" and I've graduated college and have a great job doing what I studied in college. What the hell are you talking about?

13. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Thanks for posting this - abiyng87 - and I too disagree with Lincoln University's BMI Graduation Requirement; the college should focus instead on its graduates being able to read and write and be college level literate: its stated mission as an academic institution. When did you hear recently of someone held back on academic reasons at a university? But the season is open on fat people on campus so such "discrimination" is both politically correct and sadly, accepted...

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Presumably this refers to Lincoln University Pennsylvania and not the University of Lincoln,Lincoln University Christchurch New Zealand or any of the other four institutes of that name in the U.S.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Really? You think a PE class is going to gauge success? I don't think you meant overall success but success with weight loss or learning to stay healthy. If I am wrong then let me be wrong and less disgusted with the notion that you think it has quite a bit to do with their overall success.

That said, my point would be that we had PE all through school up until grade 12 in the US. If you didn't have PE in the US until at least grade 10 then I suppose there are exceptions. I cannot see how all of those classes attributed to me being fat or skinny. I also don't recall sitting in an interview where the employer asked me how I did at dodge ball (pretty good fwiw).

So no, PE, one lousy class is not going to have anything to do with any success. If you want to ensure your kids graduate from college with any real health training under their belts then you'll force them to take 4 years of PE (if you're going for a 4-year degree). Even then and only then are the tools handed to you but how you use them is up for debate.

63dot appears to be onto something here. I cannot find much on Lincoln University and something tells me this is similar to University of Phoenix in their earlier years.

This sounds like a great case for discrimination. When I graduated I was huge, grad school I was much smaller but still huge. I fit just fine in a seat, just fine in a gown, and I suppose that stupid hat would have stuck on had I remembered to use pins.

16. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Our personal liberties are being questioned and taken away at every turn of the corner. If you don't stand up for the liberties that don't necessarily matter to you, than no one will stick up for the ones that do matter to you. Become an advocate for personal liberties regardless of whether or not they affect your daily routine.

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) PE/health/diet education mandatory in K-12...more likely to result in lifelong change.
    2) 1 class in college..not so much
    3) I guess it's better for this college to graduate skinny people than qualified graduates. Because I'm sure every graduate mastered his/her core subject area :rolleyes:

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

What discrimination? I admit I am not familiar with the state's protections statutes, but I see no protected class being discriminated against.

Of course, if they were in DC, it would be discrimination for them "to deny, restrict, or to abridge or condition the use of, or access to, any of its facilities, services, programs, or benefits of any program or activity to any person otherwise qualified, wholly or partially, for a discriminatory reason, based upon the actual or perceived: race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, or disability of any individual." I suppose being a Fatty McFatty would be a personal appearance issue, and graduation would be a benefit of the program. Off topic a little, but I wonder what the intended purpose of the personal appearance clause was and who benefits more from the political affiliation protection in this Dem stronghold.

19. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

It's spelled out in one of the links from the article, but if you google "Lincoln University" it's the first hit (Lincoln.edu).

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

1. EVERYBODY needs this class, and it needs to start at the high school level.
    2. BMI is a measure for populations, not individuals. If the purpose here is to promote fitness, a proper fitness assessment protocol would be infinitely more valuable.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Plenty of credible American schools require phsyical education during undergraduate college (including some to which I applied, but not the one to which I went). If you want to require phys ed, require it for all students. Requiring it based on BMI seems highly suspect to me.

Wait, so is the Lincoln in question a reputable school or not? There is something fishy... when I type in "lincoln.edu" in my browser, I get redirected to a Google search, because I don't find a DNS entry for it. "www.lincoln.edu" comes up as the first hit, but when I follow that link, the Lincoln home page appears with a re-directed URL...

http://02bee66.netsolhost.com/lincolnhomepage/

That's not quite on the par for a real university's homepage....

EDIT: But it seems that some of the other pages are not doing this, so it's also possible their web admins are diverting for some reason related to development or maintenance....

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

As much as I hate to say it the 12 students went in knowing that they had to do this and there advisory knew it as well. Getting a single PE credit is a joke and something I think everyone should have to do in college. Hell something I think everyone should try to do while they are in school is take a PE credit every semester while they are a full time student. Reason for that is PE is a mindless class and is something that tends to at least for an hour or 2 a week get your mind off class. All to often people in college will study or play video games and get very little physical activity while in school.

Now no one call call this case discrimination because it not a new policy but one that has been in place since 2006 and those students knew that they might need to get a PE credit. Sorry not hard to do. The mistake was there advisors did not tell them to take a PE class.

I know when I got my degree I had multiple PE credits that I took and I took the class because it gave me a break from everything else I was doing and it was a much needed break.

23. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

I am actually familiar with the school because it is right by where my father lives. It is a reputable university. It's primary focus is towards educating African American's, although you don't have to be black to get in. For spatial reference, it is located in Pennsylvania, south west of Philadelphia, just North of the Maryland border, and just West of the Delaware border. It is a really small school, but definitely legit.

If you can afford it that is great. Not everyone can.

24. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

These side issues, whether they are directly related to discrimination or not, can seriously take a school off a regionally accredited list. A fairly old and respectable regionally accredited school in the SF Bay Area almost lost their accredited status due to issues with the Americans with Disabilities Act by not having enough wheelchair access to buildings and restrooms.

While academics is only a part of being regionally accredited, letting people with disabilities have access to education is a requirement for any school to stay accredited regionally these days. I would think that means if somebody in a wheelchair has to have access to a regionally accredited school and be treated fairly and reasonably, so should people who are obese.

I went to a Cal state school and they had a 2 unit PE requirement for everybody, and that seemed reasonable. But to force a person with a certain BMI to have to take a PE class sounds like a lawsuit to me.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is BS- plain and simple. There is no way the University should be able to do this.