Line for Hotspot only via a phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dylanursula, Nov 25, 2011.

1. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Hey all.

So for work I need a hotspot for which they'll pay the line and data charges up to around $50/60 in addition to them paying for my iphone4 line.

I get a 20% monthly FAN discount and was thinking instead of getting a hotspot device what do people think here of getting a iPhone and using that as a hotspot with the hotspot feature? I have the unlimited data plan on my first line do don't want to change that.

In addition are AT&T Clamping down on jailbroken tethering ont he 2gb plan too?

Thanks
    Dylan

2. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

Any thoughts folks? Thanks so much in advance.

3. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

If you want to get the tethering plan from AT&T you must surrender your unlimited data plan and get there 45 dollar data pro that gives you 4gb of usage

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I'm not really clear on what it is you are asking... I think this is correct:

You have an iPhone 4, which your company pays for.

Your company wants you to get a hotspot device, and they will pay $50-$60/month for that.

You don't want to add tethering to your iPhone 4, because you'll lose unlimited data.

So want to get a 2nd iPhone with Tethering, and use that to satisfy your company's requirement for a tethering device.

Do I have that right?

A few things to consider:

The service plan from AT&T on the 2nd phone will be more than $60/mo with a minimum voice plan plus tethering, so presumably you'll have to pay that difference.

Tethering on an iPhone is 4GB combined phone usage + tethering. Hotspot device plans get 5GB.

You can get a 3G/HSPA+/LTE hotspot devicefor $69.99 with a $50 5GB plan, which would be faster and cheaper than an iPhone as a dedicated hotspot device. Will you use the 2nd iPhone for anything besides hotspot? i.e., what advantage do you see from using an iPhone instead of a hotspot device?

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Getting a hotspot device would be more simple and cheaper.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

I think it is a good idea to have two iPhones for this purpose, and it is part of the reason I have a second phone. You probably won't get hassled for tethering on the 2 GB plan, but there have been reports of that happening. If you are already on a family plan it may be cheaper to go this route than to have a separate tethering device.

7. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

That is correct. A second line as I do not want to lose my primary lines unlimited plan.

Thanks for the insight. Was considering either an iPhone or android device as the second line too of that helps.