Lining Up at UPS Hub for Will Call Tomorrow Morning?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryanp1000, Sep 20, 2012.

1. ryanp1000 macrumors newbie

I placed my iPhone 5 on will call to be picked up tomorrow morning. Contrary to what people have said on the forum, it is possible to pick up from will call prior to a first delivery attempt being made! The UPS agent emphasized that the "circumstances" of my package allowed me to request pick up prior to first delivery attempt. I don't think I have any special circumstances, but I think he said that because there may not be a blanket guarantee everyone else can do the same depending on the hub and location of the package.

The UPS agent also told me people were call him left and right asking to put their iPhones at will call from the UPS hub. With that information, I am considering going a bit early to make sure there is not a huge line.

My hub (Van Nuys) opens at 8... I was thinking about showing up at 7:30. Anyone thinking about doing the same? I'm doing it partly just because I want to avoid a huge line, but also the Endeavour space shuttle is being flown around LA tomorrow at about 10:30, so I was really hoping to check that out.

2. theturtle macrumors 6502a

I too asked fedex for a hold. Frick though, i hope there isn't a line there. I went for the hold because i could get it early and assumed it would be simple. If theres a long line there , i'll be pretty blown.

3. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

WTF,...Seriously its just a phone! Y'all act like you never had anything nice before. These threads are hilarious.

4. Meanee macrumors 6502a

WTF... really? Camping a UPS location? Damn crackheads...

5. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Good idea.

And yes these threads are pretty entertaining. After tomorrow it'll be all complaints no doubt.. lol.

6. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

I was thinking the same thing. Rushing to get something just to complain hours later :D

7. doc shivers macrumors member

If it was JUST a phone none of you clowns would be here scouring this forum for new news. I'm planning on camping out in front of my UPS store so that I can get my phone early and document the idiots in line at all the apple/carrier stores.

8. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

Scouring a Mac forum is no where near the same as posting up shop at a UPS location on federal private property. Im sitting on my couch comfortably laughing at the idiocy. When you grow up you will understand.

9. ryanp1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not like I'm thinking about showing up 5 hours early and pitching a tent! Is it really that crazy of an idea?

Showing up 30 minutes before the hub opens might actually involve less time than if I show up at 5 PM when everyone gets off of work and there is a 1 hour wait! It's certainly a reasonable thought and just wanted to see if others in my situation were thinking the same thing.

10. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

Just let UPS/FEDEX do their thing, people standing out front of their door begging for their pkg when its not even on-hold for pickup is problematic and a waste of time because it will already on a truck prepped ready for delivery. Normally UPS dont hold for pickup prior to 1st attempt. Both UPS/Fedex will have trucks pre-tripped ready for delivery really early in the morning like 3 hrs before the front counter even open. Just saying..

11. ryanp1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not true.

UPS let me know put a hold on my iPhone for pickup tomorrow starting at 8 am, thus I will be getting it before a first delivery attempt. Others have been doing the same thing.

12. al0513 macrumors 6502

Agreed. Just give it a few more hours. I'll be pissed if you are the reason why my phone doesn't arrive tomorrow. :mad:

13. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

sounds like they made an exception. Well sounds like you already have it all figured out. So whats the point of the thread..:D

14. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

Except that it isn't federal private property? UPS has nothing to do with the government.

15. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

A hub is...They have airplanes there. The OP said H-U-B....how about you try carrying a gun on property and see what happens.

16. HighFlyers macrumors member

HighFlyers

States or cities own airports, not the federal gov't. For example, LA owns LAX.

17. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I can't even imagine how much postal service employees hate iPhone launches because some
    People are just noir capable of waiting for their mail man. Lol it's literally like a bunch of children waiting for Christmas morning and riffling through their parents closer

18. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Really now, telling someone else to grow up when you're the one harassing them?

Can you not see why somebody would prefer to pick up their iPhone rather than wait around for a delivery? Maybe the person is "grown up" and has work later in the day, and they don't want to pre-sign for the package and run the risk of it being stolen from their doorstep. Maybe it's on the way to wherever else they planned on going and it was more convenient?

Rather than project your personal, opinionated perception of the original poster onto them, why don't you take a step back and realize that the original poster gave us no details about his situation, and therefore it is not productive to assume anything beyond what he told us? You're essentially making up things about his personality to fit your perceived stereotype of people frothing at the mouth to get their hands on a piece of glass and metal, when in reality there are good reasons why someone would pick up ANY package at a hub.

So leave the issue alone, and go on doing whatever you do with your life. After all, what you do is more important than whatever the OP is doing, right?

19. Whobarra macrumors member

I second that really people camping outside a UPS hub?? you will get you phone kick back oo boy's

20. Icealicy macrumors newbie

How do you figure out where the UPS hub in your area is?

21. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

I'm hiding in the bushes in the front yard of my ups man's house, when he comes out in the morning he better have my iPhone or things are gonna get dicey.

22. EIGHTYTHREE, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

Whatever, he was the 1st one with the name calling ("clowns"), thats why I assumed he were a kid. ...besides I did offer at the time what I thought was good info to the OP and he told me different. So what have your contributed to this thread besides your obsession with me?

23. skidbubble macrumors 6502

Exactly this. The trucks are loaded the night before so the drivers can show up in the morning and leave on their routes. They aren't going to search hundreds of trucks for someones package because they want it early.

24. flynnst0ne macrumors regular

Thisis one of the funniest iphone 5 threads yet!

25. PoisonApple13 macrumors newbie

Use the panorama feature to get a great shot of the line that's sure to span several miles :D