Linkstation is not showing up in new Airport Extreme network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fazworld, Oct 21, 2007.

1. fazworld macrumors newbie

I posted this in Mac OS X forum, but didn't receive any input. Hopefully some can help here. I replaced my trusty Linksys wireless G router for a Airport Extreme (gigabit) the other day and everything is running perfectly EXCEPT for the issue of NOT being able to access my Linkstation H250LAN! I've connected my XP system with a Belkin N USB card, my MacBook Pro 15", and my HP Laser printer via jetdirect card (all components wirelessly) BUT cannot access my Linkstation. Even my Vonage modem works! I've run the Buffalo NAS Navigator and it finds the drive and gives me all the info, like IP, MAC, etc. But when I try to ping that IP address it doesn't come back with anything and when I enter it into a browser window, it doesn't find it. I know it comes onto the network because when I disconnect it from the router, the NAS Navigator doesn't find it and as soon as I replug it in, it does. Help!

2. fazworld thread starter macrumors newbie

Found the answer!

Wow! Just figured this out! For anyone else in this conundrum, this is what you need to do:

1) When attaching to a new AEn network (or any new router), you will have a new IP address range with the new router
    2) So, launch the Buffalo NAS Navigator application to get the current IP address of the Linkstation. This IP address is now out of range because of the new router, so you need to reassign a new one.
    3) The easiest thing to do is go to Setup -> Modify IP address. Then choose 'Acquire IP address Automatically via DHCP'. This will give the Linkstation a new IP address on the new network.

That's it! After this has been done, then you should be able to access the NAS drive!