Linksys Wireless & Airport HELP

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
Does anyone have any sites that can help me setup my Linksys Wireless Router/Hub with my TiBook Airport card.

Router: BEFW11S4 - EtherFast® Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router w/4-Port Switch

Thanks

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
I don't know of any sites, but this is pretty similar to what I have set up at work. I use one of the PC's to configure it for the network. My TiBook autodetects the Linksys Wireless Bridge and the rest of the PC Network. I use Dave 3.1 to browse the network. It's pretty painless.

Not sure what to do if you are needing to configure it with your Mac. I would probably just configure it with a PC and then throw the PC out. Alternatively, you could configure it using Virtual PC.

You can e-mail me if you have questions I might be able to help you with.

Chris

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Hey, fellas. Does it have to be configured with a pc? If so, how often, meaning, does a power failure cause it to be reconfiged?

Thanks, I just want to go wireless and save some money on the base station.

Am i missing out on any "mac only" features that come with the airport base?

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Originally posted by buffsldr
Hey, fellas. Does it have to be configured with a pc? If so, how often, meaning, does a power failure cause it to be reconfiged?

Thanks, I just want to go wireless and save some money on the base station.

Am i missing out on any "mac only" features that come with the airport base?
Ease of use and setup, zero maintenance, no DCHP hassles... just the usual stuff.

Seriously, though, I had a pretty bad experience with the Linksys router and would recommend spending the extra money upfront on Airport. I just posted about this in detail in another thread. Good luck!

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by cleo

Ease of use and setup, zero maintenance, no DCHP hassles... just the usual stuff.

Seriously, though, I had a pretty bad experience with the Linksys router and would recommend spending the extra money upfront on Airport. I just posted about this in detail in another thread. Good luck!
Thanks, Cleo. Oddly enough, I will be flying into Tampa next month for a vacation in south west florida.

I appreciate the advice. Did you say there is another thread with more info on this? Do you have a linksys? Does it work for you now?